Release all restrictions, cases drop like a stone

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Tyketical Masterstroke, Jul 25, 2021.

1. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What an idiot I am, washing my hands in a pandemic! I’m very sorry that what I do in my kitchen affects you so terribly. Maybe you’d prefer if I started licking everything that tens of people may have handled before me? I’m sure all your problems in life would melt instantly away.

2. Tyk

Tyketical Masterstroke Well-Known Member

Dry buumer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This was uncalled for, apologies. Think it's time to take some time off the board for me - sorry again.

3. Nardiello

Nardiello Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Don't know what the story behind this back an forth is, but back at the start of this there was a lot of confusion about how and where covid could be carried. I know a lot of older relatives who were washing their shopping etc, and while it probably wasn't necessary I don't think they were crazy to do so.

sadbrewer likes this.
  4. Rosco

Rosco Well-Known Member

Optimist
    Born in Birdwell, living in Sin (well...Cheshire).
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was all in favour of lockdown but not "bonkers" enough to do what Jamdrop did, but then again I caught Covid so..... I imagine I got it cause I went to BM and didn't wipe down the handle on my basket.

I think Jamdrop is the winner here and very much not bonkers.

sadbrewer likes this.
  5. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No worries, apologies accepted.

6. Tyk

Tyketical Masterstroke Well-Known Member

Dry buumer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Go on - I'll say what I think and then I promise I won't post for a while. I think a few things:

1) I don't think the world's scientific community has got it wrong in totality - I think there are a significant number who opposed lockdown from the start but i think the debate was shut down and any dissenting voices ridiculed in the most sinister and dangerous way. Mainstream top scientists like Heneghan and Gupta were the subject of smear campaigns to brand them as having extreme views and consequently there was a lot of groupthink and very little in the way of healthy challenge.

2) I think the science community have been asked and answered the wrong exam question. I think we've asked them "how do we minimise Covid infections and deaths" and clearly the answer the answer they gave to that is lockdown hard, early and long. But a more appropriate question would have been "how do we minimise Covid infections and deaths while at the same time minimising other societal harms including deaths". But that's a much harder, much more difficult and nuanced question and no one wants to engage with it. So we just answered the easy ones.

3) I think we've deified "scientists" to the extent that we don't distinguish when they are talking about facts or giving an opinion - an opinion given by a scientist is not "science". Chris Whitty might think, for example, that Nigel Spackman was an underrated manager who should have been given more of a chance at Oakwell. That doesn't mean that that is Science.

4) I think emotion and fear have been used to stifle debate. So members of the scientific community, of the NHS etc who didn't agree with lockdowns and particularly don't now are scared to raise their voices.

Catch you all in a bit. Sorry for being a bit of a dick.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    Redstone, Lordtyke and Loko the Tyke like this.
  7. icer

icer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This thread has been interesting, fun and bonkers all at the same time. Its perhaps one of the few threads where i have agreed with everybody In part and disagreed with everybody in part. We have seen Science passed off as nonsense and science accepted as whole fact, where people celebrate todays data and seem to have forgotten yesterdays while taking bets on the future. Where reports are evidence that dispels other reports that are someone else's evidence. Its been a fun one to follow i must admit.

8. Lor

Lordtyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Whilst I disagree with your entire viewpoint on many levels, I can acknowledge you argued your points with a firm belief in them,and you have gone up in my estimation for this particular post. Stay safe TM.

9. red

red24/7 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    People who throw things back in your face,makes you want to stop being open about things in life

10. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    just seen Susie Dents word of the day on twitter - philodox

No idea why but it seems apt

Mido, RamTam, Tykeored and 1 other person like this.
  11. sadbrewer

sadbrewer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Quite right... I only included Gibraltar because I know they are at 100% with UK supplied vaccine...but I was replying to your comment about us being overtaken by a lot of European nations which is only correct if you count countries with smaller populations than Sheffield, all the other nations are still behind.
    As to the roll out, we have the vaccine to be much further along, the problem now is getting the younger age groups and certain ethnic, national, and religious groups to come forward.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  12. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    What I find so frustrating is that these models have been given so much weight, yet are proven to be wrong over and over, but the non-COVID health crisis is almost totally ignored.

The approach of so many nations seems to be that we must do something, "this is something let's do that" and like dominoes they fell into the same tunnel vision policy.

13. icer

icer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    As opposed to what? Lets do nothing?

14. kestyke

kestyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    I anticipate that that between the easing of restrictions and the start of school holidays you will see a dip in the infection rate (delay in reporting), followed by a brief rise (due to easing of restrictions) and a then a dip in numbers (as the students disperse and don't mix). It'll probably reduce in UK over the summer as we will be outside more and the Sun will fry the ******* Covid. Then the infection rate will pick up as schools start back up. I've seen an article that concerns some epidemiologists about some new variant coming out before herd immunity is achieved, don't fully understand it missen. Might end up wearing masks during the cold/Winter periods like they do in China. Our school seems to be getting rid of the endless quarantining, washing everything and bubbles but keeping testing in some form or other.

15. North Yorks Red

North Yorks Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    yer because if we’d done it18 months ago we would have so got the same result

DannyWilsonLovechild likes this.
  16. North Yorks Red

North Yorks Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You spelled arse wrong there JD

17. thetykester

thetykester Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Oh dear have you been insulted & have people been rude to you, shame on us. Now then what do you call us fatties? is it Batsards? or cntus?

18. pon

pontyender Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They say that if someone talks for long enough, they'll eventually drop themselves in it. That's certainly true of this forum. We've seen those who mock mask wearers, in doing so let slip that they haven't a scooby doo how one should actually be worn themselves. Now it's obvious that at least one person doesn't wash their hands after handling stuff that half of Stockport might have had their filthy dawks on...and we wonder why there's been so much transmission! There's some dirty ******** around.

DannyWilsonLovechild likes this.
  19. Barnsley Chopin

Barnsley Chopin Well-Known Member

Egghead
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Re students- Sheffield Hallam have had more applications from overseas than ever before, lots from Asia and Africa etc. September onwards could be interesting.

Redhelen likes this.
  20. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Well as Aristotle said that is the only way to avoid criticism.
    I wasn't suggesting doing nothing just that in the rush to do something it seems to have become almost heresy to suggest otherwise.