Revoke A50 Petition

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Farnham_Red, Mar 21, 2019.

1. dek

dekparker Well-Known Member

HGV Driver
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    all of europe was under the grip of austerity marlon and as i've said before had we been in the eurozone then it would have been the eu that implemented it here and not our government.

the following link will give you an insight into what was agreed by the eu and its member states, you will soon notice that austerity was implemented by cuts to public services and increases in taxation,the link gives you a country by country list and the measures they agreed with the eu to cut their deficits

https://www.europeaninstitute.org/i...cial-reform/1180-austerity-measures-in-the-eu

have a read of the following link too

https://www.businessinsider.com/austerity-has-damaged-europe-vs-us-gdp-growth-2018-11?r=US&IR=T

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  2. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Stopping the Free Movement of *British* people deeply affects those that need it to live, or work. It is a right that everyone in the UK has from birth, and we are all losing it.

Workers in Germany and France (which are both within the EU) have more rights than workers in the UK (also in the EU). Is that the fault of the EU, or our governments? (I know at least one leaver who argued that it was the EUs fault).

3. dek

HGV Driver
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    how many of the 27 member states have less rights than the uk,france and germany? genuine question as i dont know

this free movement of people hasnt stopped me having to show my passport at folkestone/dover and calais and i'm unsure what negative impact it will have on workers, my mate is a Field Rep/engineer for Joy mining, he has been to every continent except antartica,,he is currently in russia,,he has no difficulty in going anywhere so i see no reason why going across the channel should pose too many problems.

My opinion of the free movement of people is that it was created to ensure the free movement of cheap labour on a massive scale to suit the capitalist eu , more than it was to benefit any individual ,i 'm not saying no-ones benefited from it but i'm not a supporter of it.

I know you were looking at being posted in Germany scoff, so i can genuinely understand your stance on the matter pal.

4. Micky Finn

Micky Finn Well-Known Member

Light bender
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    She's lost. Again. Still implying she'll bring it back, the deluded ****

TitusMagee and anstonred like this.
  5. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I’m replying to the Bit where you said that the Tories wouldn’t be able to erode workers rights because of blocks by labour/ Lib Dem’s etc.
    I’m just emphasising that they can.

6. dek

HGV Driver
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    taking away workers rights enshrined in law would need to be passed in the commons and there would be way too much opposition,imo .

whereas austerity got the backing it needed in the commons and when milliband and balls were running the labour party they did actually say they would continue with it.

7. pompey_red

pompey_red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    But there’s the problem, you dismiss one as though it can’t happen then accept the other without flinching. It can’t be both!

ScubaTyke likes this.
  8. dek

HGV Driver
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    i'm not dismissing it as tho it can't happen and neither am i accepting the other without flinching,what i am saying is that i think it would be highly unlikely that workers rights would be stripped because there would be too much opposition to it in the commons, whereas austerity got through because it had enough support ,

9. dek

HGV Driver
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  10. sadbrewer

sadbrewer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The one that struck me was Mandelson " and I say this with all the sincerity that I have"

Can't remember who said but it went like this...

Sincerity is the greatest thing you can have in politics....when you can fake that you've got it made.

11. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    Regarding workers rights for sure Italy Austria Holland Belgium Norway Sweden and Denmark have much better workers rights, I dont know about the rest I suspect the Eastern Europe countries may not though I dont know

As for Freedom of movement that has nothing to do with showing your passport - thats just because we are not part of Schengen
    Currently we can all go and work in any EU country - its a right we have had for years.
    In practice a lot of UK citizens have done that, Though I am currently employed in the UK my services are sold on an annual basis to an Austrian Company, and before that to a Norwegian one. My current contract relies on my being able to work in Austia.

Once we stop the free movement that all goes away and UK citizens will find it much harder to get employment in Europe - of course it will still be possible for people with skills that are in short supply but it will be much harder.

Something that hasnt had the publicity it ought to is when Liam Fox announced we had rolled over our trade deal with Switzerland he lied. All we have rolled over is the goods deal with Switzerland which is less than half our trade with them. Services is not rolled over.

In fact the Swiss are putting a cap of 3500 on the number of Britons allowed to work there - I dont know how that affects the UK Citizens already living and working there. Currently there is no limit of course

12. dek

HGV Driver
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    thanks for that response farnham,

just out out of interest you list 6 countries that have much better working rights than the uk, could you tell me what these extra rights are, maybe its extra hols,maternity/paternity leave etc , i honestly dont know so thats why i ask.

https://www.thelocal.ch/20181220/switzerland-and-uk-forge-post-brexit-citizens-rights-agreement

this article is the first i've read on the uk/swiss deal.

13. Farnham_Red

Style:
    Barnsley
    They all have better paternity and Maternity benefits. It’s much harder to lay off staff. In France for example you need to pay them for 2 years if you lay them off. They also have much better workers representation at management level. I used to manage a European Service organisation and it was so much easier to get rid of UK staff than any of the other countries above for example.

anstonred likes this.
  14. dek

HGV Driver
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    workers representation in this country lost its power after we lost the miners strike,

are you sure about france having to pay people for two years if they lay them off,i find it difficult to grasp that companies that lay people off,especially for economic reasons, would be expected to pay them for two years,i've been looking online and cant find anything to back it up,the quote below is copied and pasted from global workplace

– Dismissal indemnity: Employees with at least one year’s service are entitled to receive a minimum dismissal indemnity representing 1/5th of their monthly salary for each year of service for the first ten years, and 1/3rd of their monthly salary for each year of service beyond ten years. However, collective bargaining agreements often provide for more favorable indemnities.

15. Farnham_Red

Style:
    Barnsley
    I m a bit rusty but I know when I did have to layoff a French guy a few years ago we really did need to pay him for two years and he hadn’t been there for 10 years. Maybe there was some other agreement in place I left the details to HR.

16. dek

HGV Driver
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    ok, no probs

17. dek

HGV Driver
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    have a look at this video,it shows that it is not just parts of the uk that see the eu in a bad light

18. Marc

Marc Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    people keep saying that. however the gap is closing, there is literally no cohesive plan around any alternative. vote after vote has proved that. public vote, revoking a50, leaving with no deal and everything in between has been squarely rejected by the very same people that have rejected the deal. as it stands it's exactly what may has been saying since day 1. this deal or no deal. the only thing written into law, is that we leave with no deal if we can't agree on one

this will be writte in the history books. the lot of them should hang their heads in shame.

$hit or $hitter. they are your options.

19. Men

Menai Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If only she had listened to people when they told her a year ago that this deal wouldn’t get past parliament. She’s kicked the ball into the long grass time and time again.

History won’t be kind to poor old Theresa she should have stuck to running in the wheat fields.

20. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    When the revoke article 50 petition started a couple of weeks ago I noticed that there was, a couple of lines below it, a petition started six months ago calling for a no deal brexit. It had about 390k signatures.
    Now it's virtually impossible to check the revoke 50 petition without noticing the other. Indeed in the last two weeks it's gone up to 590k signatures. So....kudos to the hare brains that want a no deal exit for signing up to it in numbers recently.
    The petitions are not a perfect reflection and can only be roughly indicative. However, currently the no deal brexit option is dwarfed by 10 to 1 by those who want to revoke.