Scottish Independence

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by orsenkaht, Jun 28, 2022.

1. Red Watch

Red Watch Active Member

Apprentice trained pensioner
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Pre Brexit the Scotland’s reason for independence as I recall was “Why should Scotland be governed from Westminster, far away, not in touch with Scottish issues” which made me wonder if it would be any different if the same MPs sat in Edinburgh. Now it seems that Scotland would be happy to be governed by Brussels. I don’t get it but then I’m happily naive.

2. Tarntyke

Tarntyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    A ruling govt in Timbuktu wouldn’t be as far away removed from Scottish or even many English issues as much as these inward- looking, self- serving horrible, Lying Tory tw@ts

3. nezbfc

nezbfc Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    During PMQ a Scottish MP did real some of this off. Not all, and not entirely the same percentages but largely enough the same.

I'm perfectly happy to see Scotland "go it alone", our government could learn a lot from the Scottish and some of their policies.

There are a number of things though that need to be covered. Pretty much like any "divorce" or settlement.

Providing that if Scotland want to keep all "oil reserves" then they should agree to repay any tax funded infrastructure projects that normal English, Welsh and Irish people have paid in to support, should some be outstanding, or pay a fair share of future proceeds that those infrastructure projects generated.

Along with a fair share of country debt etc.

It cannot be allowed to just walk away with all assets and expect to keep everything.

It would be another messy border issue, but I'm sure SNP would be able to teach Boris a thing or 2 on how to conduct it.

Good look Ian, and to Scotland, I've nothing to say to keep you intertwined with us, it isn't my place, and I support your right to self determination which ever way it goes.

4. Red Watch

Red Watch Active Member

Apprentice trained pensioner
    Style:
    Barnsley

I can see that, naive as I am.

5. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Just a question on the oil structure bit .
    I think we’ve had our moneys worth on the oil that’s already been produced (well some buisness men and businesses have )
    So if we went down that road then Money would have to be paid to Scotland for what we’ve had surely?

6. LAI

LAIKINART Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Actually, I wouldn't mind independence from the infamous Scottish Midge!

7. nezbfc

nezbfc Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Let's put it in a real world business scenario.

Let's say you owned a business with your wife. And both of you paid to set it up. And the profits it made helped expand etc and you both became wealthy.

Just because you have had a decent return, if you split up, you wouldnt let your wife take the entire business and continue trading just because you had a decent enough return already.

You want a fair share of the current value of it back wouldn't you?

8. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Does that work if the buisness belonged to your wife in the first place though and she had no option but to accept your investment proposals?
    On the other hand I’m sure there’s many investments in England and overseas that Scotland could claim on that basis ,
    All I’m saying is investment wise it’s not all one way .

9. nezbfc

nezbfc Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm not saying investment is one way.

Investment came from the current setup of the UK. English, Welsh Northern Irish and Scotland. All taxpayers money.

If investment was made with only ever Scottish taxpayers money, then fine, keep everything. But it wasn't. Unless someone can show me otherwise, it was a collective investment. (Not just the wife who owned it)

10. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I get that and what I’m saying is it’s not all investment one way from England to Scotland so stating we want reimbursing for infrastructure opens a massive can of worms .
    London is the capital of England and it was also the Capital of the UK so a lot of Scottish investment is tied up in there ,
    I’d hazard a guess at the financial sector . Even the London Underground amongst many others .
    All I’m saying is that in your initial post to Ian about England wanting reimbursing for the oil infrastructure doesn’t tell the whole story nor does it lead to Scotland alone facing financial questions should the Independance vote be successful

11. nezbfc

nezbfc Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Completely agree. As you say, Scotland can lay claim to much of London too. So it's all open for discussion.

It's a 2 way settlement. And it will be very messy. I was just pointing out that the list in Ian's post, isn't something that Scotland should just expect to walk away with.

It's akin to Brexit if you like and we do have Boris in charge, so who knows what a cluster**** they will make of this one

12. arabian_ian

arabian_ian Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    From what I am hearing Scotland has no debt as all financial dealings and subsequent shortfalls belong to England as those issues are not devolved to Scotland. We as a country live off the monies handed over via the Barnet Formula. Which actually gives us less than we pay into.

13. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    The mis management of our Country since 2010 has opened a lot of anger in our country .
    Austerity led to the Brexit vote and was a big factor in the Scottish independence being so close and why the SNP are so popular ,
    The Labour Party being next to useless for so long helped along with the right of the party sowing mistrust with selfish ambitions of some MPs and influencers within the movement .
    The Lib Dems won’t be fully trusted for years to come so it’s ripe for Charlatans Like BoJo and his pirates to Govern on self interest and the few.
    If I had chance to throw the Shackles of future Posh boys clubs governing me I’d take it with a heartbeat as even if it didn’t work straight away at least we’d all be in it together and not one section taking the opportunity to grab as much as they can .
    If the Scots leave the way our boundaries are in England ,Wales and Northern Ireland we’re doomed for the Tories with a aTory light opposition and caveman Ulster Unionists for ever and ever imo .
    Let’s start a Yorkshire Indelendance Party now :D

14. arabian_ian

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Marlon there is one. The northern Independence Party. Gravy Chips told me about them and I joined their FB page.

Marlon likes this.
  15. nezbfc

nezbfc Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I can't say what the legitimacy of the following is, but it's gone into great detail. (It's very long) and suggests your points aren't entirely accurate.

https://www.economicsobservatory.co...finances-of-an-independent-scotland-look-like

I remain in favour of you deciding for yourselves, but it does suggest large budget deficits requiring spending cuts and tax rises for a few years initially

16. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I’ll have a look at that later cheers Ian .
    I know there’s a Yorkshire Party but it’s not for independence and it’s more ex Brexit and right wing Tory from what I’ve heard .

arabian_ian likes this.
  17. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Scotland's choice.

Any article I've ever read from a neutral political point of view (if that's possible) regarding finance has claimed Scotland spends much more than it generates and that's before North Sea Oil production slows. That's not to say an independent Scotland can't increase GDP, but I'd be extremely reticent to vote for an option that lowered income. That would be like voting for Brexit. Hmmm.

pompey_red likes this.
  18. arabian_ian

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No problems Nez. All I know is that Scotland has never been given the rights/ permission to borrow money. That has been reserved only for the BoE and England. So obviously the argument those in power in Scotland is we do not have any debt.

19. Mid

Mido Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The problem Scottish people are going to have is that their idealogy will say they are better off governed by themselves and who can blame them with the shitshow we currently have in westminster, however, in reality, will leaving the UK improve the quality of life for the average Scot? I'm doubtful.

pompey_red and Redblueunwhite like this.
  20. BarnsleyReds

BarnsleyReds Well-Known Member

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    You've just made me hope they do it and do it soon so she has a chance to see it.

DannyWilsonLovechild likes this.