Should this be offside?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Gravy Chips, Sep 11, 2022.

?

Should this be offside?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    68.4%
  1. Archey

Archey Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    The fact that you have a third of people saying 'yes', and two thirds saying 'no' highlights the real issue. The decision ultimately still stands with the officials, whether its the on field ones, or the ones controlling VAR. Its a subjective decision, and as we don't all think the same, you're going to get different answers. VAR works when the result isn't subjective. The question here should be, does the 'interfering with play' rule need to be looked at? There's too much ambiguity when it comes to instances like this. I've always been of the view, if you're on the field, you're interfering with play one way or the other.

Old Goat and RedInBlackrod like this.
  2. Pon

Pontered Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think it’s the clear and obvious error rule that need amending and the fact that VAR overrules the on field officials. You can’t say to me that the decision was clear and obvious.
    For me as the assistant and ref judged it was a good goal it should stand.

VAR is causing officials to be more cautious in making decisions and waiting for VAR to make decisions for them, which is wrong.
    If the assistant thinks it’s offside, let them make that decision. If the player is stood offside and the assistant missed it then overrule it. If it’s a split second run where the attackers left nipple is closer to the goal than the defender let it stand.

Archey likes this.
  3. jedi one

jedi one Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    no because he clearly committed the offense

4. Skryptic

Skryptic Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The goalkeeper has to account for the offside player regardless of if he touches it or not, to that end he is actively involved in play. Personally I dislike that aspect of the rule, it should be black and white, he was in an offside position hence the goal is offside.

jedi one likes this.
  5. Archey

Archey Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    This is the real issue for me. I think the technology works, but it's in the hands of people who don't know how to use it, hamstrung by rules designed before the technology existed.

It's like someone has gone back in time, given Christopher Colombus a sat nav, and told him to find the Americas.

6. Ton

Tonjytyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The problem for me is the circumstances under which VAR is used. Clear and obvious error. If that usage guideline was adhered to, there would hardly be any VAR decisions. Sledgehammer to crack a nut springs to mind,

7. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    As others have said VAR is currently ruining the game- from the footage showed the striker was clearly offside and made an attempt to play the ball -the fact he missed it isnt really relevant. However I am not sure he was actually offside - There was a player down by the corner flag who could well have been playing him on - look a bit lower down the twitter feed for a still from a different camera - I hope this was taken into account when the VAR guys were looking at it and they didnt feed the ref a shot that made him make a wrong decision.

I used to understand the offside rule but now I don't think anyone does - at least about interfering with play. To my viewpoint once a player tries to move for the ball he is attempting to interfere so he should be offside. This would also stop these barmy decisions where a striker runs half the length of the field having "sprung" the offside trap only to be flagged offside when he goes to play the ball. It would also stop those instances where an offside player charging at the goalkeeper forcing a sliced clearance etc isnt deemed to interfere when clearly he has.
    That doesnt seem to be the current interpretation of the rule though

I am actually a supporter of VAR and when used properly - see Cricket Rugby Tennis it ensures consistently correct decisions (unually)

Football has managed to screw it up though- for offsides for example we should use a referees call - if the player is less than half a body on or off we stay with the onfield decision - the ref doesnt need to blow instantly the flag goes up if its close and someone has a chance so if a goal is scored and VAR shows a clear onside the goal can still stand

8. Che

Chef Tyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    22EBA33E-C4E5-43C0-9DD7-CA7E8650471D.jpeg

isn’t this guy playing him on…

thetykester likes this.
  9. Farnham_Red

Style:
    Barnsley
    Yes that was my point above - here is a clearer view
    upload_2022-9-12_11-10-52.png

Chef Tyke likes this.
  10. Pon

Pontered Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It looks a balls up from start to finish this one.
    Appalling all round

Austiniho and Farnham_Red like this.
  11. BarnsleyBomber

BarnsleyBomber Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Perfectly gd goal disallowed agaib, var is a travesty sometimes, the guy offside kinda goes for it bit its past him and in b4 he can get anywhere near it.

12. Gravy Chips

Gravy Chips Well-Known Member

Web Designer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That’s a good spot with the defender on the wing. What a cóck up.

13. jptykes

jptykes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If we're saying that defender plays him inside then surely the guy who took the corner and has crossed the byline is offside and the goal should be struck off?

I'm just being picky, I guess. But that's the problem with the offside rule, it's impractical and can't account for every situation.

We have one argument saying the guy who goes for the ball but fails to touch it is offside because he made the attempt. If you're on the pitch you're interfering with play.

This is countered by the idea that a guy stood half the width of the pitch away is playing him onside even though he can have no impact on the ball or player. Again, if you're on the pitch you're interfering with play.

But then the guy who took the kick is back on the field of play (both feet are over the line) and given he's on the pitch he must be interfering with play too - even though, as with the defender, he cannot impact the play at this point.

As someone who did refereeing and ran the line for a while at youth level it's a nightmare. I hate the offside law and every change to it makes it gradually worse despite the intention of clearing it up.

14. Gimson&theBarnsleys

Gimson&theBarnsleys Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    And goal raking.:D

15. Jam

Jamo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The player is in an offside position, half heartedly attempts to play the ball and, even had he made contact, the keeper was never getting anywhere near and doesn't even attempt to.

You have to be some sort of vindictive, sadist uber-lovely person to disallow that. Absolutely no common sense applied anymore.

16. North Yorks Red

North Yorks Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Definitely, the keeper wouldn't be able to dive for a player stood on or nearly on the goal line for one thing, defenders having to hang back all the time.
    Just sack of VAR and go back to what it was, none of this ridiculous stuff like a players big toe making him off.

17. Farnham_Red

Style:
    Barnsley
    Doing away with offside would be a disaster fpr the reasons you point out amongst others, so thats really a none starter.
    Its the current guidence and use of VAR thats wrong

You cant just make it any player in an offside position either as @jptykes points out as soon as someone crosses from the goal line they instantly would be offside so in the example at the start of this thread the goal would be ruled out as the corner taker is stood offside even if the other guy in the middle was not there. You also dont want to have offsides given for example if a striker chases down the keeper from an onside position - the keeper clears to another opposition striker under pressure who then lobs it back into the net because the now offside player has no chance to get back onside.
    Or even injured players down by the corner flag given offside when play continues and a goal is scored

There has to be some interfering with play option. I would say in the OP the striker who misses the ball is definitely trying to intefere so if in an offside possition ( He wasnt mind) the goal should be ruled out. If he hadnt jumped for the ball it should stand regardless but the guidence is now as clear as mud

North Yorks Red likes this.
  18. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Whilst I agree with most of what you say, the rule doesn't refer to "interfering with play" (I'm not sure where that phrase actually comes from) but it says "seeking to gain advantage". Subtle difference I accept.

In this particular case the player went to head the ball then ducked out of the way so I'd say he was definitely seeking to gain an advantage. But then again, you could apply exactly that logic to our first goal at the Sty, Aichison was offside when Cole played it forwards so Aichison jumped over the ball to show that he wasn't seeking an advantage, BUT he certainly was at the instant that Cole played the ball.

I very nearly argued myself round full circle which shows what an awful rule it is. It requires the officials to effectively read a player's mind.

Edit; I haven't voted cos I really can't make my mind up....o_O

Last edited: Sep 12, 2022