Sponsor

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Nardiello, Aug 6, 2022.

1. Loko the Tyke

Loko the Tyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think what he’s suggesting, and this has been floated around elsewhere in their community, is that HEX the company have sponsored Barnsley but the funds came from some of their ‘bigger players’ rather than the company itself.

So he isn’t saying HEX isn’t a company, just that it isn’t the company per say that has brokered the deal.

John Peachy and SuperTyke like this.
  2. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I hope for your sake the Hex community of first time BFC shirt buyers only reaches 99,999.

budmustang, Winker and Indie Red like this.
  3. jptykes

jptykes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't like the idea of being sponsored by crypto particularly but I guess we're stuck with it for this season at least.

Not sure it's any worse than alcohol, tobacco or gambling companies that have sponsored teams in the past. Ideally I'd have liked us to go with a charity sponsor or something more ethical but ultimately it looks like our options were limited and we had to go where the money was.

Loko the Tyke and Tomi like this.
  4. Indie Red

Indie Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just imagine it now

If we did sell that many shirts though from the back of this sponsorship that’s almost £5M in shirt sales alone! That’s like Premier League level for merchandise. But if there’s 100,000 people invested in this Hex then I feel sorry for them, because all they’re doing is making that Richard Heart a very rich man and judging by his social media presence he’s a complete greedy knobhead that takes pride in scamming people and bragging about stuff he bought with other peoples money. Like a less cool Jordan Belfort.

DannyWilsonLovechild likes this.
  5. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Saw this earlier:

6. JamDrop

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That would involve us not being out of every size except 4XL within 2 weeks as per usual. You think we could ever fulfil such an order?

7. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yep. Few more like that too.

As mentioned before, I think for a lot of people this is their first experience of a crypto community. It’s genuinely nuts in that world.

8. Indie Red

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    IMG_6126.GIF

9. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Go read KuqiCouture's Twitter postings.

Actually, don't. Just don't.

This just gets worse and worse.

10. JamDrop

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It’s basically K-Pop stans, they’re bloody annoying too.

Loko the Tyke likes this.
  11. Indie Red

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He’s a proper right wing chucklef’k, even recently celebrated the abortion ban in America!

What the f’k are we doing associating with people like this?!

12. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    It's utterly bizarre.

I don't use Twitter. Been reading it about 20 minutes this evening which is more time than the last 5 years combined. But I won't be alone amongst Barnsley fans as they're all getting spammed into submission by Hex Spam Bots and right wing thunder kuntz.

13. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Searching @barnsleyfc recent tweets on Twitter and it's full of what they call #Hexicans saying how we should be happy, they all want to buy our tops and we should invest in it.

Austiniho likes this.
  14. man

mansfield_red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This sponsorship is proper embarrassing, on all levels

15. Ses

Sestren Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've seen this stuff for years, as have you. We can both see them coming a mile off. But I'm really worried that by putting them on our shirts, and right in the club's mentions, that they've been given a brand new audience which doesn't know anything about crypto and might take those percentage gains at face value.

It feels horribly predatory to me, especially at a time when people might be struggling.

16. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thats definitely a concern. But I don’t think Barnsley fans are their primary target. I think all the crypto sponsorships we’ve seen the last couple of years are about giving credibility within these communities, rather than just being about attracting new ‘buyers’.

Sure, they’re not going to complain at some new investors, but that would be such a minor gain for them in the global grand scheme of things. If 25% of season ticket holders rolled the dice at an average of £50 it wouldn’t budge an inch.

It looks like those within the community have brought this deal to the table, which is a very different proposition to the company choosing to go out and sponsor a football club. I think it’s posturing, bragging rights, endorsement, a sign of success, willy waving (take your pick) more than the recruitment of our fans.

17. Gravy Chips

Gravy Chips Well-Known Member

Web Designer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm genuinely a bit upset at this, and I risk my neck on the chopping board because I work for the club and my alias on here is known to them. But it's really not a good look. It's everything anti-Barnsley FC. Pyramid scheme, right-wing libertarian undertones with a cult-like social media following who are all either in on the scam or victims of it. It's very anti-local community and represents everything wrong with the direction sport as a whole has taken. I think it feels worse than a bookie because a bookie is openly evil to your face, whereas these guys play nicey nice with promises of eternal riches with seemingly no risk. Every social media comment is pretty much guaranteeing wealth, and that's irresponsible and immoral.

It makes complete sense to them to sponsor us. Even just a few people falling for it and buying their currency bumps up the price of their holdings. It's a whole business model built on "a bigger sucker" who will pay for the next increase. But that's bad for any of our fans who are roped in.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
  18. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Just to be clear: The club are being sponsored by Hex. It's emblazoned across the shirt. And the club are clearly endorsing the company as not only are they fulfilling their contractual obligations, they're actively promoting them with Tweets like 'Hexcellent' result.

And then fans who respond to these Tweets are being spammed by Hex, their followers and their bots claiming 38% annual profit.

[​IMG]

This is a reply to a Barnsley FC Tweet in which Hex were copied in, and Barnsley FC is mentioned right there in this Tweet. The claims are nonsense. And it's marketed directly at Barnsley FC fans, endorsed by the club. And they're run by climate change denying right wing nut jobs. This is not OK. It's not remotely close to being OK. You cannot even see OK from where we have positioned ourselves.

19. Skryptic

Skryptic Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Can I just say how fantastically on brand it is for our ******* monkey's paw of a football club to wind up with this lot. Anything slightly positive immediately turns to *****.

Two current full internationals on the books but the arse has fallen out of the transfer market when we need to sell.

Bring the catering in house but nobody wants the jobs.

Find a sponsor in time for the first home game but it turns out it's a weird ponzi cult.

20. Ses

Sestren Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    And if a couple of fans stick their life savings in?

This isn't anything like crypto.com, which is at least a platform on which people can buy a range of coins. It's a highly volatile single token which is already being pumped massively in the club's mentions.