Steady away at win, top scorer in league, top scorers…….but……..

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by judith charmers, Oct 24, 2023.

1. twi

twillo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    In all the years I’ve been watching Barnsley, I’ve never known our home atmosphere to be as bad. To be fair, the away atmosphere isn’t great either when we go places.

Stephen Dawson likes this.
  2. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Here he is. Borey O'Cotter. Ready to tear up the league then be sold to Luton or Coventry in January. I reckon we should get him an agent and start touting him around straight away. IMG_231025_085023.jpg

3. Tykeored

Tykeored Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    It’s worth bearing in mind that Duff to took over after the disaster that was Schopp/
    Asbaghi, and could hardly help looking good at the start, whereas Collins by contrast came in after that brilliant last season.

4. Merde Tete

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    One thing Duff had in his favour as far as winning fans over goes, was that we'd been so diabolical before that, that even playing basic football to a reasonable standard would have been an improvement. Collins is under much more pressure as far as expectations go, considering that Duff had built a superb side for this level and he was expected to carry on from that, having lost two of the most defenders ever to play at 3rd tier level in England (3 if you include Bobby Thomas who was sold for £2 million), plus a midfielder who'd walk into most Championship sides. That's a very tough ask.

I'm massively frustrated by the home defeats, but we're actually far closer to the top two than we were at this point last season. I agree that we seem to be playing at about 60% right now. What remains to be seen is whether we'll find the other 40% as we did last season from January onwards. If we do, we'll go up automatically. If on the other hand this is what Collins's style of play looks like and there are no more gears then so be it. We're still unlikely to finish much below 6th, just because we've got a lot of very good players for this level, and most of the division is absolute dogger.

5. Tyk

Tyketical Masterstroke Well-Known Member

Dry buumer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's Carry Botter.

6. Stephen Dawson

Stephen Dawson Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    ...would you be happy?

7. Merde Tete

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Carry Botter. Korey Beef. We can just keep cloning them until demand dries up. I think that we should also make a clone using the worst bits of Dave Regis, Brek Shea and Paul Gibbs, and sell him to Sheffield Wednesday. He'd still probably walk into their first team.

8. jud

judith charmers Well-Known Member

Travel advisor
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Always happy me SD, like I said, it wasn’t a dig, just a genuine question…….I can’t seem to fathom out what our style of play is

SuperTyke and Stephen Dawson like this.
  9. Stephen Dawson

Stephen Dawson Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Me neither but my response was nothing to do with your post mate. The thread title reminded me of that Harry Enfield fishmonger sketch.

10. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Lots of panicking over nowt. We’ve just been unlucky that the fixtures dealt us 4 of the best teams in the league at home early doors whilst we were trying to bed in a new keeper & defence.

wombwell-red and Stephen Dawson like this.
  11. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I can't either. At times we are slow and tippy tappy across the back, at others we go forward like lightning.
    Sometimes we go almost entirely through the middle and sometimes almost entirely down the wings and cross it in.

It's a good thing in a way because if us fans can't predict our style of play then the opposition have no chance.

12. Merde Tete

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agree with you in general. Blackpool and Pompey really rankle though. An absolute brain fart of an opening 20 minutes against Pompey, plus nothing running for us, but even then we still should have drawn. That match could feasibly cost us automatic promotion or the league title at the end of the season. Pompey were also absolutely excellent in that early spell, fair play to them for burying their chances. Blackpool we weren't at our best but I thought that they were not great. We did more than enough to get a point though.

13. RC_

RC_tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    At the start of the season it definitely seemed like we pushed our wing backs really high up the pitch and got them bombing crosses over. Then a couple of teams caught us out defensively.

I’d say now we look to get the midfielders centrally on the ball a bit more. I thought Kane, Styles and Russell were all very good last night. McAtee was okay as well, certainly put a shift in.

Second half wasn’t that great last night but overall I can’t complain. Hopefully another one like that on Saturday with a similar score line.

Tykeored and Stephen Dawson like this.
  14. Dub-Tyke

Dub-Tyke Well-Known Member

2nd half we made plenty of subs and were looking to just see out the game.

Sat-Tues-Sat this week - you have to manage energy levels and try not create injuries.

We are slower and more patient this season - it’s probably not as good to watch compared to last year, but we’re doing well so no complaints. And, we’re effectively protecting a new-ish back 4 as well. If Anderson, Kitchen and Collins were still present, I think we’d see a little more urgency.

15. Dys

Dyson Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    A winning one by the looks of it.

16. Rosco

Rosco Well-Known Member

Optimist
    Born in Birdwell, living in Sin (well...Cheshire).
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was impressed by MDGs speed last night, he ran faster than Williams to track a player down last night.

Jimmy viz likes this.
  17. andytyke

andytyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Over the years I’ve seen Barnsley play some Fantastic football, exiting football, destroy teams for 90 minutes and play teams off the park yet still lose. I’ve never been reight Keen on losing.

vals football was awful but it was winning football and above all else that’s what I want to see my team do. No points for artistic impression in football

anyone moaning about a 3-0 win are doing so because there’s nowt else to moan about

18. seethi

seethi Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Entertaining? Think you’ll find even Man City were labelled as boring when Pep first took over . What our fans seem to forget this is 3rd Division football it’s going to be a bit crap as away teams try and stop us playing, we have a long way to go,results wise we’re doing alright COYR

Tykeored and churtonred like this.
  19. jud

judith charmers Well-Known Member

Travel advisor
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    T’is true that I suppose

20. tosh

tosh Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Just take my response out of context then and don't answer the question. I was responding to the lack of atmosphere comment. My belief is that there was no atmosphere because the football was generally dull and lacklustre. It is not purely about goals.