Summer Transfer rumours..

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Sopwith Camel, May 10, 2024.

1. Marc

Marc Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've been one of his biggest critics last season, and IMO justifiably so. However, he did at least end the season with a glint of a silver lining in his two play-off performances. If he can bring those performances consistently next season he will be a big threat, but only doing it in a handful of games won't be good enough.

Last edited: May 29, 2024
    55&counting and Merde Tete like this.
  2. Archey

Archey Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I can say with almost certainty that we'll sign at least 1 striker.

NathanBFC94 likes this.
  3. ryc

rycalshaw Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree' i was beginning to think we'd bought another pup but the 2 games against Bolton proved that he's got it in his locker and if he can get a run of games as our main striker next term he could be a great asset' lets hope Clarke can boost his confidence and get him firing.

4. onemickybutler

onemickybutler Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree. Need to somehow offload Watters and loan one or both of Marsh and Jalo out to a L2 club for me.
    They need starts but not sure we can give them that at this stage.

5. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Yeah I'm same I was quite critical apart from 1 and half games v bolton where he looked very good. I was just pointing out he slated the other 4 but left Cosgrove out who bar that game and half was quite poor and he had plenty of chances. No reason why he or any of those 4 can't do well next season though.

6. Archey

Archey Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    That's true. What I probably would add about Goode though is that he has spent the majority of the last 4 seasons at Premier League or top end Championship clubs, so maybe it's just that level he isn't up to.

I wanted us to sign him when he went to Brentford, and I reckon we'd have been able to develop him better than they did. They'd already got Pinnock, and I think signed Pontus Jansen that summer too, so from a playing perspective, I think he'd have enjoyed much more game time with us. I think he's been unlucky with injuries too.

7. Com

Come on Tarn Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We won’t be loaning Jalo out

Connor, redrum and Merde Tete like this.
  8. Sopwith Camel

Sopwith Camel Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not nailed on to get 'starts' on loan.. Marsh went to York and didn't pull any trees up.. Lopata never got a game at Vale after Moore arrived
    Shepherd at the side of Curtis Davies played ever week and Lightboune did well on both his loans.. Not even going to comment on Shaw and Dallas..
    What I'm saying is there's no magic wand.. it's totally up to the player to push himself. No one will be handed anything..
    But when their under contract here (Dallas signed 4 years didn't he) and dont want to leave or haven't got anywhere else to go on the same money its almost impossible to get shut.. without paying them up in full. Remember Treacy walked out on us and we'd still to pay him... The PFA made us
    So in the end you got to see if any new coach can get a tune out of any of em.
    It's what you get with poor recruitment

9. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

If we're going with Cosgrove will have a good season because he played a good game and half v bolton. Then we can have abit of hope for jalo when he came on and saved us v reading and almost got us a winner. He should be in and around the 1st team next season not loaned out. Kid didn't even start a league game last season.

10. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Re Cosgrove - nobody has mentioned that for most of the season he was completely lacking in the sort of service he needs. Play to his strengths and he'll be pushing 20 goals plus a load of assists where he's made a complete nuisance of himself causing chaos in the opposition's back line. Use him in the same way as we did for most of last season and he'll struggle to get more than 5.

11. onemickybutler

onemickybutler Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'd love for Jalo to play a big part next season but I'm just not getting the hype to date.
    There have been loads of youth team players over the years that have been the next 'big thing' but never made the step up.
    I'd have a lot more confidence if he was physically bigger and stronger.
    As the saying goes, a good big 'un will usually beat a good little 'un.
    Time will tell.

ubique_tyke likes this.
  12. RedfearnsRocket

RedfearnsRocket Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm not even sure we know where his best position is, I'm not convinced he's an out and out striker/forward, often thought he's better out wide running at defenders or cutting inside, problem is we don't play with wide players so I'm not sure how we get the best out of the lad tbh

13. Jack Tatty

Jack Tatty Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Of our current forwards Cosgrove Jalo Marsh Watters Shaw and Dallas there is only Cosgrove who I'd class a first 11 starter. Jalo has potential but to come on from the bench. Of the other 4 I would try and loan out Marsh and some how move out permanently Watters Shaw and Dallas who are nowhere near league 1 standards.

We need 2 quality strikers brought in. Maybe 1 permanent and 1 loan.

Aaron Connolly available on a free after being released by Hull would be one worth looking at and loan wise maybe someone like Josh Coburn from Middlesbrough.

Last edited: May 29, 2024
  14. Pon

Pontered Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Tipy tappy Collins football didn’t suit Cosgrove at all, Val football probably would. Hopefully Clarke can get something going in between and get the best out of him and Watters.

Merde Tete likes this.
  15. Mik

MikeyD87 Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    From looking over his old stuff available online and talking to fans from different clubs, Clarke very much seems to be a hybrid playstyle manager. He'll aim to impose his style on a lot of teams but isn't afraid to set the team up for success when it needs a change around rather than being stubborn. A common element I've heard is that he likes a big target man at all his clubs.

16. SouthCoastTyke

SouthCoastTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Awfully short up front. I think only Cosgrove as it stands is a starter for us. We don’t know about Jalo as he’s only had bit parts here and there. Watters, Shaw, Dallas and Marsh need to be gone if we can offload them somewhere. I only hope if they recruit, it’s quality over quantity as the squad’s bloated enough as it is.

17. S74 Red

S74 Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Who on earth is going to take a punt on Dallas, Shaw or Marsh? No way we’ll get them off the wage bill. Dallas is national league tops and he’s the best of the 3 by a mile!

No idea how Marsh keeps getting contract extensions. Hate to say it as he’s a local lad and tries his heart out, but he’s not a professional footballer in a million years.

I could see a MK Dons type club taking Watters on loan. He has a great scoring record in League 2 (albeit a small sample size). But I do think if Clarke can get him motivated he can do a job for us, although I can’t see him being a regular starter by any means.

18. x11barnsley

x11barnsley Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Didn’t Marsh get loads of goals for the U21/23’s last season ? and a couple in cup games and maybe an assist or two ?
    I know it doesn’t guarantee him being a star striker but he’s still young and the above figures surely show potential ?

Allendale-Red likes this.
  19. NathanBFC94

NathanBFC94 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Always rated Connelly, if we could afford him I think he'd be great in L1

20. Jack Tatty

Jack Tatty Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

The step up is huge though. I'd look to send him out on loan until January to a league 2 club.