The Boris Bounce

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by orsenkaht, May 7, 2021.

1. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This....
    Exactly what happened in Lincoln. The Labour MP who held the seat prior to the last GE came out just before and said she would vote against Brexit because it is what she believed in.
    Nothing wrong with that in itself but Lincoln voted to leave and despite her being arguably the best MP for Lincoln for a number of years (both Labour &Tory), it was political suicide.
    This is despite generally the fact the guy who got back in for Tories was/is generally disliked.

leadshot, Connor and Django like this.
  2. Red

RedVesp Guest

Thanks to the thick, the obnoxious, the ignorant and the selfish we'll be in Tory hell for the next 20 years or so.

Me and the wife are genuinely starting to look into leaving the UK. It doesn't feel like we belong here any more, every day it seems less and less like my country.

My neighbours are racists, my work colleagues don't understand the benefits of foreign aid and I even have wider family members that hate me for voting remain.

Phuck this country.

ScubaTyke, ade, churtonred and 5 others like this.
  3. orsenkaht

orsenkaht Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think that part of the problem is the negativity of the message. There's every justification for pointing out the lack of integrity within the Tory government and the way that they look after their own. But it is a negative message, not a "here's what we'll do better" type of positive message. Since Thatcher, I think even the less well-off have wanted to be aspirational - even within their own sphere. I don't know that people want to regard themselves as "working class". They're not up for strike action, so the voice of the unions may not be what it once was. Governments of both stripes have limited union power through legislation, or supported the retention of that legislation and been elected repeatedly while pursuing that line.

I personally believe that sticking with Starmer is the best way forward. Another lurch will simply repeat the cycle of defeat. But clearly the message has to be modified to meet the aspirations of people. However, I rather suspect we'll be in for another internecine war. If there has to be a new leader then I'd hope Lisa Nandy could represent a different direction, with a suitable review of policy and appeal.

4. Tyk

Tyketical Masterstroke Well-Known Member

Dry buumer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    To be fair he’ll probably come out in agreement with them, he has done with every other Tory policy.

5. jjs

jjsmiff Active Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Having read alot of political threads on here over the years there are clear themes but all of them are linked to polarisation and short memories. Brexit or Remain, Labour or Tory, or even the polarisation of the labour party between centre left (or whatever you wish to call it) or left wing.

The things i cannot understand, and I appreciate this is a pandoras box to open on here, are:
    Brexit has happened. it is an unfolding disaster that has been hidden by a global pandemic but on the day there was huge media coverage of fishing rights issues in the Channel caused by a tiny part of Brexit people can still change their votes to Tory, who got Brexit done! and that is without the riots and rise of sectarian violence in Northern ireland and the break up of the united kingdom all on the back of Brexit. If you think divorcing from 40 years of the EU was hard wait until we try to unpick 400 years of the UK
    The pandemic has shown the tories in their true colours. Cronyism, money wasted on their friends. We have spent £400bn on the pandemic and 10% of that on test and trace that doesn't work and billions more on PPE to their friends who have never supplied it
    Boris is a disgrace of a politician. a proven liar (sacked for it twice previously) and incompetent

BUT

The Labour party is split more than the tories. Labour have been elected very few times in the last 100 years and when they were elected they were centre left. the far left does not get the labour party elected. At the last election it was the worst result for decades. The far left have forgotten this again and are still fighting and splitting the party. Keir Starmer or anyone else within the party were never going to turn this around in a year, especially a unique year like this one. the far left now attacking him is just helping the tories more by undermining the leadership and stopping them focusing on fighting the tw@ts in government

ScubaTyke, ade, Loko the Tyke and 8 others like this.
  6. Tyk

Dry buumer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    And here, in a nutshell, is why the Labour Party has been blown apart. It’s exactly this attitude of disdain and moral and intellectual superiority towards the working class of this country - who were previously the lifeblood of the party - which caused us to lose on the Brexit issue and continue to be unable to formulate policy which appeals to them.

No wonder they’ve decided to put their vote elsewhere.

7. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    If you look at the GE2019 results, if you stack Tory and BXP, they would have had a majority of 7,008.

I genuinely don't think it would have made a jot of difference. Brexit has completely done for Labour. If they support Brexit, they put at risk around 70% of their vote share. If they support remain, they lose 30% (though much of that has gone now). Now UKIP and BXP are dead in the water, the only far right option is DePfeffels incarnation.

I wouldn't be surprised to see DePfeffel trigger another election soon. If not only to try and get rid of Yvette Cooper and Ed Milliband who have given him several roastings on select committees and the commons.

With Scotland gone, with Wales going, with the north doing the mother of volte face(s) there is no position to build from.

What Labour actually need is a stronger Lib Dem (or alternative) performance to try and erode the tory vote and give more alternative, but the way it looks, Barnsley will soon be all blue. And Wakefield and Pontefract and....

leadshot and BFC Dave like this.
  8. orsenkaht

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Like urging a second lockdown in September, not waiting? Or arguing against the Christmas loosening?

9. Skryptic

Skryptic Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This board is going to go into crisis when Barnsley goes Tory next time around.

10. orsenkaht

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If Keir is still there you can bet your sweet life that Boris will try to paint him as wanting to reverse brexit - even though he has said that argument is dead.

11. Red

RedVesp Guest

I'm 100% right though. I don't know a single Tory voter who doesn't fall into one of those categories.

Whether you think you are or you're not is irrelevant, if you vote Tory you are.

12. Tyk

Dry buumer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That’s just more Tory policy in even more extremis.

13. orsenkaht

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It would likely have done last time, had the Brexit Party stood down.

14. Tyk

Dry buumer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They’re not mate, that’s just not true.

Whilst I personally can’t understand anyone voting Conservative, and it’s certainly not something I could ever stomach, you can’t tell me that everyone who’s moved from, say, Blair in 97 to Johnson in 2019 is a racist. They’re just not. Before lockdown, The U.K. was one of the most socially liberal countries in the world.

Everyone who doesn’t share your view on Brexit isn’t a racist, and it does the remain argument absolutely no favours whatsoever when we pretend that they are.

15. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I don't believe anyone who would fall into the category Vesp suggested would change their vote if someone called them highly intelligent reasoned individuals.

There are people voting for this far right fascist leaning, flag waving, xenophobic, jingoistic, corrupt, racist, truth denying liars because they like them or their leader.

And they've been putting their vote in the same place for a long time. First BNP, then UKIP, then Brexit party. This isn't a new phenomenon, its been in the making for a decade.

What I don't understand though is this. People want change. So they are giving more power to the controlling party of over a decade that seemingly have been having influence of their lives that they say they want change from.

arabian_ian and RedVesp like this.
  16. Red

RedVesp Guest

I didn't say they're all racist. I said my neighbours are. I said all Tory voters are thick or ignorant or selfish or obnoxious. Which is 100% true.

17. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Trouble is generally speaking the British people dont like change. Not just politics but everything, Insurance, TV, Bills etc.

They need to be given a compelling reason to change and currently they are not getting that from an alternative party so they just carry on.
    The sooner the opposing parties can make themselves credible to the general public the better for all of us.

18. pompey_red

pompey_red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    As it should do! Never forgive, never forget what those bästards gleefully did to our community’s and familys.

19. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It isn’t the left that’s sabotaged the party. That’s the centrists. For 5 years they’ve backstabbed the leadership. Going on TV & social media & criticising their own party more than they did a dreadful Tory government. This is completely on them. Saying how Labour would be 20 points ahead if Corbyn wasn’t in charge despite him been far more popular than Brown & Milliband.

About 160 of them launched a coup just 9 months into Corbyn’s leadership when he was polling level with the Tories. Starmer’s over a year into his leadership & is facing the most incompetent government in my lifetime & spends his time 10+ points behind in the polls. If there was a coup to oust Corbyn surely there should be one to oust Starmer?

20. Tyk

Dry buumer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Fair enough, keep sneering at them then. And keep losing.

manxtyke likes this.