The Glassworks

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Freddiel, Jan 12, 2022.

1. Tykeofthetown

Tykeofthetown Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Also the opposite side of Cheapside looks extremely tasty now with the euros completed winter if there is also some plans for that in the near future or am I just dreaming now

2. Fre

Freddiel Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The council are planning on purchasing some buildings on that side to demolish. They want more green space in the town centre. One of the buildings on their wish list is the former BHS building, but I’m unsure whether there’ll be others.

The overall plan is to reduce the amount of empty retail buildings in other areas of the town - to be replaced with housing and green space, and keep retail in and around The Glassworks and Cheapside.

Redhelen, RedVesp, jjsmiff and 3 others like this.
  3. Hooky feller

Hooky feller Well-Known Member

Retired, full time grandad.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sounds like a plan.
    Loving the regeneration btw. Thanks for the updates Freddie.

4. Fre

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So the ‘National Pub Chain’ is actually something a bit more upmarket than what most would’ve expected. The Botanist will be taking R6 and R7 underneath Cineworld. Whether it’s your thing or not, that’s a brilliant addition to the town centre.

5. TonyTyke

TonyTyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've been to the Sheffield one a couple of times and I've been very impressed.

Brilliant for Barnsley.

Redhelen, Mike Lowry and Connor like this.
  6. Jam

Jamo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Blimey, that's a hell of an acquisition. Usually get them in the bigger cities or well-to-do towns. The food and drinks are very good, if a bit pricey, but overall though an excellent addition.

Redhelen and Mike Lowry like this.
  7. jjs

jjsmiff Active Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    had our xmas do at the Botanist in Leeds and it was excellent. There are some good bars and restaurants round the square now

Redhelen likes this.
  8. Bossman

Bossman Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I’m genuinely shocked that The Botanist is opening in town, that’s brilliant news.

Redhelen and jjsmiff like this.
  9. jjs

jjsmiff Active Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Another coffee shop for town in the Glassworks.

200 Degrees Coffee applied for planning permission for another set of external doors for unit 20 so they can have outdoor seating.

Unit 20 is the end ground floor unit that I think would see the new doors opening into the space in front of the Alhambra where the Kes statue is

Freddiel and Redhelen like this.
  10. Fre

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Another update.

It looks like New Look will be relocating next door to Next and Sports Direct. I presume this is in readiness for the former BHS building to be demolished - although Superdrug will need to relocate before that can happen so I don’t see that being demolished any time soon.

Urban Burger should be taking the unit next door to Coffee Boy on Cheapside. For those that haven’t been to the ones in Rotherham and Doncaster, it’s a very similar concept to Five Guys.

Dolly’s Desserts appear to be taking advantage of their TikTok fame and taking a unit next to the Cineworld entrance. I’m not sure if this is a relocation from Market Kitchen or whether it will be in addition to that.

As confirmed by the poster above, 200 Degrees coffee are taking the ground floor of the unit adjacent to the Alhambra and fit out is already underway.

R3 is now available again after previously being under offer. This is one of the four restaurant units underneath SuperBowl. I suspect this may have been the unit for Long Island from True Independent Group (Cucina, The Works, Black & White, The Salt House). I get the feeling that one has been quietly dropped.

jjsmiff, Loko the Tyke and TonyTyke like this.
  11. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I worry with ever spiralling costs of living that these units won't be let for long. Losing £1000 approx due to energy price rises is going to hit the majority of Barnsley residents very hard, not much left for luxuries.

jjsmiff and Freddiel like this.
  12. Fre

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It’ll be the same in quite a few areas across the country. Barnsley is already the 39th most deprived area in England, but it does differ vastly from one side of the borough to the other.

In a way I think it’s probably a good thing we’re not seeing loads of new, national retailers moving in. I like the mix of national and local and that the focus isn’t just on retail. Most of the time the bigger brands take advantage of the lease incentives to try out a new market and then move out when they underperform and they have a lease break. Look at Trinity Walk. Look at Friars Walk in Newport. Lots of the big brands that were new to the cities have all left after 5 years.

I do still think the whole scheme is too big for what was needed, but I guess demolishing other buildings in the town centre will result in an overall reduction in retail space.

Barnsley has been crying out for an improved leisure offer for years and the market is there, but for too long residents have had to travel to other areas to enjoy an evening out. It remains to be seen whether people will make the switch to town, or even consider town as an option, however, footfall in town over the past year has increased and is performing above average and the scheme isn’t even finished yet.

13. orsenkaht

orsenkaht Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Parking usually wins it for Meadowhall in my book. That said, I'd rather shop online.

14. Jam

Jamo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Good news about 200 degrees - the ones I've been to have been very good. Can remember when they opened their first shop in Nottingham when I was at uni so pleased so see how much they've expanded.

Freddiel likes this.
  15. Fre

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Got to admit I didn’t realise they had as many as they do. I’ve been to the one in leeds a few times and the coffee is good.

Jamo likes this.
  16. TonyTyke

TonyTyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I had to look where Superdrug was, I was convinced it had been demolished for the library. I think I'm 30 years out of date with my references (as in life). Anyway, just looked at that building, and it's not particularly nice so would be good for it to be replaced.

On another notes, am I being snobbish in thinking the charity shops are all best staying on Market Street and Peel Square/St?

17. Fre

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The thing is, Barnsley Town Centre will never replace or come remotely close to Meadowhall for retail, but I did always find the lack of chain restaurants in town surprising when other similar sized towns have them. I know they’re not everyone’s cup of tea, but they do bring people in.

Jamo likes this.
  18. Joh

JohnSmiths79 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It will end up being downgraded to summat like weeds
    just like flannels has been downgraded to slacks
    :D

Freddiel likes this.
  19. Fre

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It’s a funny one because I was told it would be Cruise initially but then swapped to Flannels later. Obviously it’s back to Cruise now. Tbh it’s a huge unit that will be filled with overpriced clothing. I’d prefer something else, but I guess it’s better than an empty unit.

It would’ve probably been better to reduce the number of retail units and have the cinema starting on the ground floor on that side. It would’ve reduced the scale of the building facing Harborough Hills which, given how horrible it looks from that side, wouldn’t have been a bad thing!

DannyWilsonLovechild likes this.
  20. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Avoid it like the plague! Love nipping into town though so the more new shops the better.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2022