The Glassworks

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Freddiel, Jan 12, 2022.

1. kektyke

kektyke Well-Known Member

Warehouse Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Because they aren't allowed to wear them with blazers. Even during breaks so most don't take them

2. Old

Old Gimmer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Because there is no place to put them while they are in lessons. According to my grandkids.

3. wak

wakeyred Well-Known Member

the clues in my imaginative online moniker
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My son goes to school in his hoody and just swaps it with his blazer at the school gates from his rucksack.

4. jud

judith charmers Well-Known Member

Travel advisor
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My daughter walks to Horizon most days and thinks it’s very uncool to wear a coat :rolleyes:

5. rin

ringo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Glassworks fills up,Alhambra empties we have got Barnsley in another place 50yards down road

Better_Red_Than_Dead likes this.
  6. Red

RedVesp Guest

An empty Alhambra could (should) be demolished and the land reclaimed as green space.

I'm liking the town centre development but there's precious little greenery other than a few shrubs and some artificial grass...

Jamo and ringo like this.
  7. Sopwith Camel

Sopwith Camel Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Always going to be so. When Cineworld and the bowling alley get going it will only shut what's already here.

ringo likes this.
  8. Fre

Freddiel Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Pretty much what’s happened with every town centre/city centre development over the last 20 years. Stores will always relocate if they have the opportunity to move into a more modern store and negotiate a new lease.

It’s worth noting that only two stores have moved from the Alhambra - Next and TK Maxx. The Alhambra also isn’t owned by the council so any rents paid in there are probably funding a pension scheme.

SuperTyke likes this.
  9. Jud

Juddy G Well-Known Member

Watter man
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Interesting yesterday the new tenants were listed and today they just state in solicitors hands.
    Anyone know what’s happening with Salt Rock and Black and White ? They were supposed to open before Christmas.

10. Fre

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It’s now The Salt House and should open in June. The fit out started a few weeks ago. It looks like they’re adding a mezzanine too which looks like a nice feature in the CGI’s.

Not sure about Black & White, but with The Salt House being their flagship venue I guess they want that open first.

Juddy G and jjsmiff like this.
  11. Tykeofthetown

Tykeofthetown Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    @Freddiel abymore updates regarding rumours or potential announcements? I know 200 degree due open this month but the other units have been very quite lately also is there any date for cruise/flannels they have also gone very quite cheers

12. Fre

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Nothing new to report I’m afraid. No news on any new tenants other than the units under offer (New Look, Boom Battle Bar, Urban Burger, Dolly’s Desserts, Marshmallow Blends). Fit out on TGI’s should start soon as a I believe they’re hoping to open in June. I’m not sure on The Botanist, but I’d assume they’ll want that open by summer too - although no plans have been submitted to the council yet.

The last I heard on Cruise is that they were aiming to open in August.

13. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The rest are all good news but the cruise one just shows how Ill thought out the free rent contract with Mike Ashley was.

14. Fre

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    In what way? None of us are privy to the legals, but I don’t think an unoccupied unit will be counting towards/against any lease terms they’ve signed up to.

The whole scheme is essentially delayed by 12 months which is why half of it is still empty!

15. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    As I understand it he's been given a free unit for quite a long period. 5 years I heard. There doesn't appear to be any penalty within that lease if he chooses to leave the unit completely empty and the benefit of his company taking a unit gets lower every day he chooses to leave it empty. Instead of the glassworks having the benefit of the footfall and 'pull' that flannels or cruise would bring for 5 years it now only has it for 4 years and if he chooses to delay it again only 3 years etc. Should have been deadlines to open the unit before fines were imposed which would have encouraged him to get a move on.

Obviously it isn't that simple or anything but I just think giving long term free leases in order to attract big names that then pull in the punters for the other units only works if you've got something to make sure that big name actually opens. Same with the cinema too I guess

16. Fre

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Right. Would I be correct to assume you don’t work in commercial real estate?

17. Tykeofthetown

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ch

Cheers @Freddiel i wasn’t aware of the marshmallow blends one so that’s new to me I spoke to the girls at dolly’s a few weeks ago and she was surprised I knew of their intent although she did state that it was still to be agreed at that point and she did also have an interesting comment on the reasons why they are taking the unit (it’s in addition to the market one) but it isn’t for me to say on here. I do though find it frustrating that some unit do seem to be taking forever while others are in and open relatively quickly

18. Tykeofthetown

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Also while I remember whatever happened to the laser quest that was supposed to be in the super bowl?

19. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You would be. That's why I said it isn't that simple. I just don't agree with spending a lot of money to give a rich man a long term completely free lease that he can leave empty if he likes.

20. Fre

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This really isn’t the place to discuss in detail, but that’s not how lease incentives work. Free rent/ reduced rent/lease break clauses etc. are commonplace - especially in new developments, but it doesn’t give the tenant free rein to do whatever they like. You also have to take into account the cost to fit out the units - the council are literally giving them a shell. It’s quite an expense so a lot of the time a lease incentive will go some way of reducing that initial outlay.

Loko the Tyke likes this.