The morning after the night before.

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by upthecolliers, May 18, 2021.

1. Tyke_67

Tyke_67 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We just need to win the game :) We don't HAVE to beat them by two to take it to ET ;) You know it's going to go all the way to the end don't you? It's the Barnsley way :)

2. Stephen Dawson

Stephen Dawson Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We'll see.

Tyke_67 likes this.
  3. Tyke_67

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We will :)

Stephen Dawson likes this.
  4. Stephen Dawson

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Indeed :D

Tyke_67 likes this.
  5. Micky Finn

Micky Finn Well-Known Member

Light bender
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My concern is that while hoofball garnered us a frankly daft number of points earlier in the season, it's not really worked in recent weeks. It bypasses midfield most of the time - not sure how Mowatt has earned any big move on recent performances - and has killed Cauley's career completely. The second half flashes from Morris, when the ball was ON THE FLOOR showed what we can do when we actually play football. Woodrow's better with it at his feet and Dike running at pace pursuing a through ball would scare any defender to death.

I trust big Val and hope he saw enough last night to make Saturday's performance a little more two-dimensional....

6. Tyke_67

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Correct :D:D

7. Jim

JimboBaggins Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Collins to score the winning penalty after saving in the sudden death, you heard it here first

Redhelen likes this.
  8. Che

Chef Tyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    I cannot believe anyone would be downbeat after last night.

it was an even game against two very even sides. A draw would have been a fair result without a doubt, if anything a Barnsley victory. Frustrating, yes, but to suggest it’s all over is a bit ridiculous.

Write this team off at your peril.

9. Marc

Marc Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I thought defensively we looked solid, personally. You could argue we could have done better for their goal, but that's was £20m gets you. We all know the quality Ayew has. Final 3rd was the problem for me. Cauley runs his blood to water but his quality just seems to have dropped off. He isn't blessed with pace, so without that nous he can look pretty ineffective. DK got dragged into a fight. He needs to learn that side of the game. You could tell after 10 minutes that he wasn't going to be allowed to be too physical. Morris made an immediate impact. Like he always does. Our #1 striker for me. Genuinely don't understand why he isn't getting a start.

10. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Obviously Ayew is paid a lot and cost a lot, but in isolation for that goal, he didn't really have to do that much. He ambled back onside, took a while to advance it, shifted it slightly and hit it. Our defence, uncharacteristically it has to be said, were just very slow and nobody closed him down, giving him time and room to do what he did.

And agree re Morris. He's the key if anything is to be salvaged 2nd leg.

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  11. Tarntyke

Tarntyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    T
    Totally agree, Collins was a spectator most of the game, and 1 lapse in defence cost us a goal. We were unlucky not to score and their keeper should’ve got MOM. I really believe it’s all to play for and feel really confident

Redhelen and Simon De Montforte like this.
  12. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Still proud of the players and staff. I can't wait for Saturday's game.

Redhelen, Mr C, Chef Tyke and 3 others like this.
  13. Sim

Simon De Montforte Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think people are overestimating Swansea. Let's get reight, they were lucky. I can't recall Collins making a save whereas Woodman was man of the match for me. Ayew has only one foot and Helik made the mistake of not cutting out that shot. Ayew tried it again second half but Anderson was wise to it and blocked it. Apart from that he did absolutely nothing. We had 3 cracking breakaways but unfortunately Woodman was a split second earlier to the ball or the final pass was just off target. Brittain should have scored, Morris hit the bar and I thought Woodrow had a bad touch when clean through. It's all ifs and buts and they definitely had the luck last night. Anyone suggesting it was too easy for Swansea should watch that second half again. We battered them for the most part but because we didn't score, people are saying it was a doddle for Swansea. When 4 players are streaking away from you at pace with 10 minutes to go and you can't catch them, you know you've been in a game. We're far fitter than them and even though they managed to do the job, it was a long way from having us in their pocket. We just need to start the 2nd leg like that second half and be a bit more clinical. Might be easier said then done but I doubt the Swansea manager has written us off like some of our fans.

14. Men

Menai Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree I guess Collins had to be mindful of Lowe but I think even he should have perhaps anticipated it a bit more too.

Redhelen likes this.
  15. Stephen Dawson

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If you build it up too much. It makes the crashing fall even worse. I'm glad it's a daft kick-off time and I'll most likely look for the result after putting George to bed.

Redhelen likes this.
  16. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Swansea played the perfect game last night but I feel that their home support will expect a bit more and there may be a touch of complacency. Nailed on 1-0 to the Reds after extra time and we'll win on penalties.

Redhelen and Stephen Dawson like this.
  17. Marc

Marc Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Tbf they've been lucky 5 times against us over 3 games. I don't think too many people have us written off completely, but I don't think you're giving Swansea enough credit for how they've dealt with our threat this season. It's not luck IMO. Beaten us 3 times, 5-0 aggregate. They've done their homework and taken their chances. If it was the other way round we'd all be saying how we have them on toast going into the 2nd leg.

18. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not sure how or why you would drop sibbock and replace him with sol, I know you say experience but for me last night was sibbocks best game in a barnsley shirt and he handled lowe very well. Sol could struggle up against him with his lack of pace. I don't think any of the back 3 should be dropped based on last night helik was at fault for the goal shouldn't have let ayew cut inside. But apart from that they all handled the threat well.

19. Andy Mac

Andy Mac Well-Known Member

IT
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Was just an opinion. I rate Lowe and not entirely sure Sibbick was 100% confident against him. A couple of times (one mazy run in 2nd half) he had him on toast, but it is touch and go - just my gut feeling that a bit of experience away from home when Lowe is on home turf, would be better. I don't really worry either way. FWIW I rate Sibbick highly and did so even before he fell out of favour and went out on loan. He's a fantastic prospect.

And I did say that the Franco-German genius in charge would call it far more than I ever could ;)

Redhelen and redrum like this.
  20. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Sibbick