The morning after the night before.

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by upthecolliers, May 18, 2021.

1. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Fair enough and yeah I remember the run in the 2nd half it was abit worrying but apart from that a very good game from Toby who I had wrote off and couldn't see him making it after his failed loan moves but he looks to be proving me wrong which is good.

Redhelen, Andy Mac and Stephen Dawson like this.
  2. Stephen Dawson

Stephen Dawson Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    upload_2021-5-18_13-9-52.jpeg

3. Spi

Spirit of 81 Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Based on last night I would start with Morris, Woodrow and Chaplin and save DK for the second half. We need something different up front. If Kane was fit I would play him instead of Palmer.

4. Jim

JimboBaggins Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think we saw the best of DK when he came off the bench - big impact player when the defence is already tired and nervous from the high-press. Then just when they are on the limit you bring on DK's physical presence and clear goal threat. I'm not sure he's at his best against fresh defenders.

5. Spi

Spirit of 81 Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agreed. Youth seemed to get the better of him last night. Surprised that he wasn’t booked. Compare him and Ayew and the latter has way more experience. Feels like that’s what we lacked - a bit more big game experience.

KamikazeCo-Pilot and Redhelen like this.
  6. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The commentators were certainly bigging Swansea up last night and I expect more of the same on Saturday. However, we had some promising spells in the game and they weren't all seen off by their young defenders. Vals talking about another half but I think it's another game entirely, and whichever manager prepares the best for it will come out on top imo.

7. Marc

Marc Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    the tactics and psychology will be fascinating. one way to look at it is we 'just' need to win the game in normal time. 1-0 is enough. they beat us 1-0 last night, no reason why we can't do the same on Saturday. it's then all square into extra time and we start again. but that probably lends itself to a more cagey affair. another way is come out all guns blazing. shock and awe.

personally I would go for the latter. they've shown 4 and half hours this season, that they will go up against our style all day. they are happy to play ugly and play long. whenever we've got the ball down, shown composure and gone at them, they've looked fare less capable.

for me, Morris is a must start. I'd maybe start with Chaplin instead of Woodrow as well, for the injection of pace. Dike needs to play the game, not the man. Palmer and Mowatt need to put a foot on the ball and find red shirts.

8. gaz

gaz97 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We’ve played much worse this season and won and we’ve scored plenty of away goals this season so not overly worried i think our wingbacks can make the difference Saturday if they really push up the pitch and go for it.

JimboBaggins and Redhelen like this.
  9. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Morris is the best all round striker in the team. He has a bit of everything, especially positional sense, that Dike lacks. Dike has an incredible future ahead of him if he keeps up his work rate. No team would fancy playing against him. That said, I'd save him for the second half & potentially extra time. Not sure about him taking a penalty though... I'd rather Helik take one over him TBH, or even Collins, who is a hell of a footballer out of the box. I really didn't get why Walton was dropped at the time, but Collins is a key part of our game, to kill counter attacks over the top of our high line.

Redhelen likes this.
  10. JamieBreweryStander

JamieBreweryStander Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    People say we play shitty hoofball, but Jesus wept Swansea were another level, every goal kick was straight to Lowe out wide, straight from the John Beck book of coaching.

Yes they have worked us out this season but what they are offering up would get them absolute nowhere in the Premier League, and if they are among the best the Championship has to offer, particularly with their budget, they should be ******* ashamed.

Redhelen likes this.
  11. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We don't play sh!tty football, but we play very direct. Usually the first half is a bit dull & we open up in the second.

I think we'll see a slightly different approach in the second leg, but not much. Keep it tight.

Redhelen likes this.
  12. Marc

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hmm fair dos.I don’t see a huge amount of difference between us and Swansea myself like. FWIW I agree that they would get nowhere in the PL, but I also think that about us. In terms of technical quality, both Brentford and Bournemouth look better equipped than us, but I personally think whoever gets promoted through the playoffs, are coming straight back down. I’ll get hammered for saying this like, but I think our current squad and style of play would get slaughtered in the PL.

13. SamBfC90

SamBfC90 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    As I said in another thread, the key word is patience. Swansea will carry on from last night & try to slow tha game down & make it ugly. Morris, Chaplin & Woodrow should be the front 3. I feel they link up better on the deck, but only if the midfield can get their foot on the ball. Clearly lumping to a target man isn’t going to work.

Redhelen likes this.
  14. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I am brimming with confidence , a win of any sorts means at the very least penalties ,but two things, firstly do Swansea stick or twist ? its a long time 90 minutes to defend a slender lead & secondly in recent times when ever we have had to dig out a big result away from home we have done , winning at Brentford to stay up against all odds , repeating it again this season & when we needed to win at Bournemouth to push into the top 6 we did it & we did it coming from behind in style , we have spirit & bottle in abundance but most of all we have Val who is tactfully better than anyone we have ever had before . We have been superb away from home since Xmas & I do not see this changing , Wembley here we come !

Redhelen likes this.
  15. Marc

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Unfortunately that’s not patience, that’s changing our style. I agree, the worse thing we could do is stick to our previous game plan and hope we find a breakthrough. I guess it depends how willing/able we are to change things. We’ll see on Saturday

Redhelen and KamikazeCo-Pilot like this.
  16. KamikazeCo-Pilot

KamikazeCo-Pilot Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    As some have mentioned there needs to be change up top both in terms of strategy and in personnel. Swansea looked more vulnerable to 'football', movement and runs than they did against the big hoof. Surely Ismael has noted that. Also, the pace of Chaplin and the different physique he has relative to Dike may work better. Morris should start because he has an intelligence that the other strikers don't have. I'd drop Dike to the bench and possibly bring him on second half. The big hoof on its own will not work against Swansea's defence. It definitely needs tweaking

Redhelen likes this.