The rebuild

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by In4reds, May 4, 2024.

1. Gegenpresser

Gegenpresser Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    We need a driving midfielder more than anything.

2. Sopwith Camel

Sopwith Camel Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Don't think they'll be one.. more a trimming down and cutting our cloth accordingly.
    When all the loan's have gone back the out of contract players have left.. we'll still have more than enough to field two sides next season.. Whether they are ready at present or good enough is another question..
    So whoever the new head coach is he'll have to be able to improve what we already have and organise them into a unit to compete.
    Free transfers and a few loans will be the order of the day..
    Because let's face it.. if you were told every five minutes what a useless **** you were would you put anymore money in..
    Trimming of the cloth.. top to bottom needed..

Stephen Dawson likes this.
  3. Nardiello

Nardiello Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think it’d be really tough to build a Championship team from what we’re left with this summer.
    We’ve only got a couple of Championship level players left - Connell, Pines… Phillips?

Obviously if we had a chance at promotion that’d be brilliant. We need the money and we’ll bring in better players. But we’d really have to nail the manager and signings.

Now to rebuild in League 1, I think we’ve got a base to build from.
    If we get a great manager who can organise a defence, I think there’s enough there with what we have - MDG, Pines, Earl, Lofthouse, Lopata, Shepherd, James. Need a new LWB but there’s a lot of solid options at CB.

Connell, Phillips and Benson are great in league 1 if we can keep them all fit. Russell and maybe Grant and Wolfe too? It’s a start at a good midfield, but we’ll need one or two more. Styles? Who knows!

Up front we’re really lacking. We need two starting 11 level forwards. Cosgrove is a decent option. Then a bench out of Marsh, Jalo, Dallas.

Ship out Watters and Shaw.

4. twi

twillo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Wouldn’t surprise me if Clarke came with a couple already lined up to get something sorted who fits in with the club policy. Rob Street, Will Forrester and Will Ferry are all potentially good enough (Forrester probably already is) to have an impact on the squad this season who has already worked under Clarke.

5. NathanBFC94

NathanBFC94 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No need to totally alter the usual plan, just slight tweaks and we'll be absolutely fine.

Definitely need a few older heads imo. Hourihane seems to be one that's coming back and then ideally I'd like to see a older head at the back come in like Marc Roberts. Would have said Raggett but he's already gone Rotherham.

Then they need to add some quality younger ones from L1 and L2 on frees or small fees. Players like Sotoriou, Will Ferry, Southwood, Adebisi etc. that profile that are good enough now and can keep getting better.

A few non league or overseas projects is fine if budget allows but the main focus needs to be on bringing in quality for the first team to play now

Last edited: May 27, 2024
  6. Gimson&theBarnsleys

Gimson&theBarnsleys Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Problem with this is if they're any good they're gone after one season anyway.

7. Don

Donks Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What gives you the impression that Jalo is championship standard? He isn’t even good enough to get more than a few minutes at League One level, and even then he’s looked out of his depth more often than not.

8. SamBfC90

SamBfC90 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Sorry but we’ve not seen enough evidence to suggest Pines will be any good in league 1 let alone the Championship!

9. George Kerr

George Kerr Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    “The fans don’t always know best”, but there are so many on here who think they do. There are some of the more vociferous detractors who don’t feel capable of saying anything good.

10. Jack Tatty

Jack Tatty Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Give over.

Stephen Dawson likes this.
  11. dod

dodgey defence Well-Known Member

Joiner
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The budget should be there to sign at least 4 or 5 decent out of contract players that are ready to go straight into the team, hopefully we can then move a few fringe players on and be astute with our loan signings then we should be competitive again.
    This summer is a big opportunity to reshape our squad and we need to take it.

12. Com

Come on Tarn Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    A full American international footballer

ScubaTyke and anstonred like this.
  13. e-red

e-red Well-Known Member

Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We have to face the fact that we weren’t good enough last year and the experienced players who left needed a new challenge. They looked tired and jaded.
    We need new energy and new blood and I’m looking forward to seeing the players who come in. We still have a solid core of talent to build round and I expect us to do well, although personally I don’t mind a building year so long as we play good football and I can see the improvement.

churtonred, Merde Tete and Donks like this.
  14. In4

In4reds Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's why I put him in the possibles the lads 17yrs old and full potential. Some much better judges than me rate him but as it stands he doesn't need to be as were still in league .

15. In4

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Can't think of the last player that was moved on after a year maybe Morris wasn't much longer but we weren't going to keep him after relegation. I do get your point though we need to sell a plan to players that's a little more long term but even then if the right offer comes in we're going to sell.

16. Voi

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Jalo is actually 18 and a half now.

17. Voi

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There's a difference between not being good enough to get more than a few minutes at League One level and not being given a proper opportunity to show whether he's good enough. Rather than looking out of his depth, I would say that he's hardly had a chance to test the water. Hassell, who has seen a great deal of Jalo, clearly thinks he hasn't had the amount of time in League One that he should have had.

churtonred and Merde Tete like this.
  18. Red

Reds Fan Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    People say this every season we are in L1

In4reds likes this.
  19. In4

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My mistake but my point stands the lad has potential where it takes him is anyone's guess big season coming up for him.

Voice of Reason likes this.
  20. Voi

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Certainly. I have seen several very impressive snippets from him, for example his excellent goal against Horsham, the very cool Toneyesque penalty he scored in the shootout with Tranmere, his assist at Reading etc. We simply haven't seen enough of him in the first team to form a very reliable opinion, but those who know him best certainly seem to see a bright future for him. Their confidence in his ability will, I hope, prove to be well-placed.

churtonred likes this.