Thoughts 4 games in..

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by redarmychris, Aug 21, 2016.

1. redarmychris

redarmychris Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've been fortunate enough to get to all 4 games so far.

In every game I've come out thinking we either should have, could have or deserved to win that game.

Ipswich we should have won in my opinion. Didn't convert our chances and made basic errors in defence. More than competed.

Derby and QPR were deserved victories.

Yesterday was more of a could have won. But at least we were always in the game. After a poor first half showing I felt very positive about only being 1-0 down. I think it speaks volume that despite moving up a level we're still very much fancying our chances of winning a game at 1-0 down.

I hoped for 7 points from the first month and with a home game left we've very much got a chance of achieving that.

In terms of recruitment we're desperate for a striker with presence and pace. Preferably Fletcher although I don't think we'll pull that off.

Payne has had 3 very positive cameos and with Winnall still out he's earned a start against Rotherham.

Bradshaw has struggled. I cant recall him having a shot on goal since Ipswich. Mawson and Roberts had him in the back pocket 3 times at least last season and I've seen 3 centre back pairings have very comfortable games against him so far. He's a box striker and at the minute he's struggling to get to grips with the extra running required by our front 2. For a well built lad he hasn't shown great ability to hold the ball as of yet. Effort wise he cannot be faulted though.

The recruitment of Moncur is a strange one. He was a player I was excited about and I couldn't understand why he didn't get on yesterday. We went 4-4-1-1 with Scowen playing in arguably Moncurs best position. Obviously with Scowen getting the goal against QPR he deserved 15 minutes or so in that role. However with Scowen not having a great game I felt it was all set up for Moncur to come on and show us what he's about. I don't know if the Bree substitution was forced by injury but my thoughts both at the time and after the game was it should have been Moncur for Scowen. If Moncur cant get on the field over Scowen in his own position then maybe Hecky isn't confident in his ability so far?

Finally we need a like for like to replace Kent or Hammill. Hopefully that man will be Isgrove. If we can add a left back and possibly another centre mid as well as keeping ALf and Conor we should have enough to take us until January.

2. Gre

GreenyTyke Well-Known Member

Layabout
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agree with all that but I don't think we need another CM and we probably need another winger along with Isgrove

3. redarmychris

redarmychris Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think we'll struggle with only 3 and Moncur. Any combination that doesn't include Hourihane sounds weak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Gre

GreenyTyke Well-Known Member

Layabout
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Perhaps would be great to have 5 1st team CMs but I'd hope we prioritise Left back and wingers 1st and then CB's but yeah 5 of them competing for two places would be good