Town centre square

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by TonyTyke, Jun 28, 2021.

1. Gordon Owen

Gordon Owen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Gee Vee Travel, the hairdressers next to it and the one with the huge clock.

SuperTyke likes this.
  2. BarnsleyReds

BarnsleyReds Well-Known Member

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    Same here. They're expensive but just incredible burgers.

Jamo likes this.
  3. Gimson&theBarnsleys

Gimson&theBarnsleys Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They're changing the set up at Frank Bird's, moving the entrance to Eldon Street. If you look closer, most of the lower end of the "Victorian" arcade isn't victorian.

SuperTyke likes this.
  4. thetykester

thetykester Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  5. Gimson&theBarnsleys

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    thetykester and RedVesp like this.
  6. One

One F Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    First visit to Barnsley town centre for about 3 years. Very impressed with the Glassworks area and the artists impression of the new bridge (is that Nudgers bridge?). Huge change from what I remember - large open space, greenery and clean. Had a wander round the indoor market, good to see it busy, especially the eating area on the top floor. Next stop the equally impressive Experience Barnsley Museum and Discovery Centre at Barnsley Town Hall (what a magnificent building). Been to the museum before, but a few years ago - no wonder it was shortlisted for a national prize. Lots of information, artefacts and local history on show with staff offering help and advice. Across the road to the Cooper Art Gallery, not for the culture (a new exhibition was in the process of being filmed) but a chance to partake of the foodstuffs on offer. We settled for pie, peas and gravy and as I explained to my partner (not a Barnsley lass), this was a delicacy not to be missed.

Walked up Shambles Street and down by the Temple of the Muses before heading up Market Street. Came across a bit of a 'do' with a couple of blokes shouting threats and obscenities at each other. Shudder.

Back into the Glassworks and markets as I had seen some very tasty looking tomato sausages on more than one butchers stall and fancied taking some back home for a weekend treat. Unfortunately it was just before 4pm and the markets were closing with all the butchers stalls empty. B.ugger.

Really enjoyed the afternoon and went home feeling positive (and proud) about the new, and a lot of the old, Barnsley.

7. TonyTyke

TonyTyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Anyone know the latest on the works to move the pipe by Yorkshire Water? Has it been done, or not started?

8. Fre

Freddiel Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The Yorkshire Water diversion work is now complete. I believe the contract for the bridge has been awarded to NMCN and work is due to start in December, although I guess time will tell. The timelines have always suggested around 6 months for construction. I’d be very surprised if the bridge isn’t finished next year.

TonyTyke likes this.
  9. Gimson&theBarnsleys

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The NMCN who've just gone bust?

10. Red

RedVesp Guest

11. bfc

bfc1001 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well after reading all the excitement on here I thought I'd pop into town to see what it's all about . I must admit it does look nice though whether they fill up all the shops remains to be seen but overall decent effort . Bought a bag of mussels for tea and a fivers worth of pick and mix for my sweetie jar from the market and headed home . The market hands down is still the best part of the town centre .

12. Fre

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Council papers suggested North Midlands Construction. I guess if they’ve gone into admin they’ll be going back out to the other bidders. The paper I saw could’ve been old as it’s a document available to all on the website.

RedVesp likes this.
  13. Fre

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Admittedly it looks better in the sunshine! Most of the units are filled, but unlikely to be occupied until the new year. Give it a year and I suspect it’ll be pretty much full by then. The restaurants and bars will make the biggest difference for me.

14. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Can’t help thinking there’s a tad too many coffee bars etc for the influx we have at present.
    If the footfall goes up slightly I still think it could be overload especially midweek .
    Unless the marketing board have a strategy to counter that I’m afraid some will call it a day once their tenancy comes to an end and probably halfhearted up to that .
    That’s not me being a doom monger by any means I really hope it thrives and is successful, but looking at the way things are with town/city centres at the moment I’m not hopeful .
    I’m wishing them all the best and I’ll do my bit towards its endeavours and just hope any strategy’s work well .

15. Ton

Tonjytyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Gee Vee and the hair dresser, yes. But I haven't been in town since the lockdown!!

16. Fre

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Most large towns and cities have a coffee shop in every other building - Barnsley isn’t unique with that and I’d say our offering is currently smaller than most. Unless Tim Horton’s have taken a unit, the only other coffee shop we’re getting is Starbucks and that’s technically part of Cineworld (they’re a franchisee). Given we’re about to get our 3rd Starbucks drive thru in the space of 3 years, I’d imagine coffee shops will be around for a while.

As I said, I think the Nando’s, TGI’s, and Salt Rock cocktail bar will be fantastic additions to Barnsley.

ArchieRed, bfc1001 and RedVesp like this.
  17. Marc

Marc Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    no doubt it smartens the place up, but where's the character? I really hoped this would give a boost to independents and create something unique, but doesn't feel like its quite panning out that way. so far I've heard tkmax, jd, sports direct, river island, coffee boy, cineworld, starbucks, Nando's, tgi. great to see Barnsley getting some investment and hope it's a massive success, but really nothing in that lot to attract me.

DannyWilsonLovechild likes this.
  18. Mrs

MrsHallsToffeerolls Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Cineworld will move me from the Sheff one into Tarn.

Redstone and Gordon Owen like this.
  19. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I agree but what I’m getting at is all these are also coffee sellers along with upstairs market and others that are taking units .
    As I said I’ve nothing against this at all and I’m hoping and willing our brilliant brand new town centre is a great success .
    But competing with other centres that have far better transport and subsidised we need to be Able to compete for footfall .
    Hopefully although I’m not holding my breath the levelling up will give us resources on the transport front , I’m hoping all these facilities will attract more footfall and transport is sorted and affordable and that the glass works is a great successs I haven’t seen or heard the councils plans on better and afffordable transport but my guess is they are on it .
    Best publicity would be premiere league football for the Town so hopefully these owners can deliver on that .

20. Ton

Tonjytyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Oh,, huge CLOCK, sorry