We told you.

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Tyketical Masterstroke, Aug 19, 2022.

1. Loko the Tyke

Loko the Tyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This really is one of the biggest myths in the whole lockdown vs. no lockdown discussion. People who were anti-lockdown, on here at least, weren't suggesting we did nothing. All that has been suggested is that lockdowns weren't the best idea - prime examples being that hospitality didn't have to full close, twice, and children really didn't need to be kept away from the classroom.

Stephen Dawson and redrum like this.
  2. Tarntyke

Tarntyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Exactly, the fact that the decision for the initial lockdown was dithered upon and should’ve happened much earlier, could easily have meant lower infections and less time in lockdown. Let’s not forget Johnson was too busy writing his book to attend the first few Cobra meetings, and the findings of the report/enquiry into the pandemic that hit Africa so badly (sorry forgot name of disease and report) were ignored

Redhelen and Stephen Dawson like this.
  3. Tarntyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    An article in the Torygraph will only convince the converted.

Redhelen, anstonred and TitusMagee like this.
  4. Tyk

Tyketical Masterstroke Well-Known Member

Dry buumer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Absolutely unadulterated, utter garbage. Just absolute nonsense. We were, correctly, stating that a protective ring should be put around the most vulnerable.

Farnham_Red likes this.
  5. Tarntyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Says someone who uses the Torygraph to back their OPINION.

6. Tyk

Dry buumer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  7. Tyk

Dry buumer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  8. Tarntyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You only linked it to a Tory rag. It is still far from convincing anyway. Yet still nothing is mentioned about this Govts dithering and deliberate non- address of the situation in the early days. Oh, and congratulations you’ve managed to post another attention-seeking, I am right all along’ post. This thread will no doubt drag for days and days as previous ones do, but the same outcome will,occur, no- one will be convinced

9. Tarntyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Redhelen likes this.
  10. Tyk

Dry buumer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Whereas the claims that lockdown saved lives and the actual case for lockdowns at the time are full of properly underpinned and well proven numbers weighted against a potential risk assessment and definitely not just regurgitations of wild claims from notorious dickheads like Ferguson?

Here's that famous Tory rag the Guardian talking about the 25k extra deaths lockdown will have caused simply through alcoholism alone.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...se-could-cause-25000-excess-deaths-in-england

11. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    Im not for one moment saying that the governernment handled lockdowns correctly - the first one I supported as we didnt know what we are dealing with - you may recal that subsequent lockdowns I was no fan of and regularly posted in support of your views on the way hospitality was being targeted for no scientifically sound reason, because for me it looked like guesture politics rather than having any real basis in science

My post was more about the fact that to blame lockdowns for todays higher death rate makes no sense and there are other far more significant reasons

12. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
  13. Tarntyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Lol,

14. Tarntyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Still nothing about my point about the early and prompt lockdown, that should’ve happened.Anyway I’m done with this now, personally too painful a subject having lost my dad through it, to be feeding your ego.

anstonred and TitusMagee like this.
  15. Tyk

Dry buumer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We locked down two weeks after Italy, the first country to fully lockdown. There was no discernable difference in death rates overall between the two. It made no difference. This myth that "orrr, if only we'd acted two weeks early" is possibly the most risible, most obvious dollop of monkey spunk in the sea of utter simian jizz that is the advice of "Independent" SAGE.

16. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I do not normally comment on these posts but having trawled through everyone"s posts I have come to the conclusion that hindsight is a truly wonderful thing & how people just post to score points on a subject where many of us have lost friends & loved ones well frankly I find it distasteful & this is my one & only comment I am contributing.

17. Loko the Tyke

Loko the Tyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I know. But the way your post was written suggested it was lockdown or ‘let it rip’ as the only two options people were advocating for.

Even in this thread reading through, it’s assumed that anyone against lockdown was assuming a ‘we should have done nothing’ position. Which is just completely false and not accurate at all.

Stephen Dawson likes this.
  18. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There is a big difference in having an opinion and voicing it, and being so conceited that you rudely disregard anything that counters your argument and look for any evidence possible to back your view after the event.

This is very hemsy/higgy esque.

There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that less people would have died if we hadn’t locked down.

There is evidence that lockdown was flawed, badly handled and has consequences.

But had we not locked down, how many more (or less) people would have died?

It’s very easy to say we should have done what I said all along when the outcome isn’t perfect. There was never going to be a good outcome to this situation.

You can opine - but can’t state - that your way would have been better. You or I or anybody will never know.

So to come out with this post - and the previous one which talks about public enquiries and making sure it can’t be allowed to happen again - it’s all a bit rich. If there was another pandemic of a different disease or virus let’s say in ten years, what anecdotal evidence do you have that your method would have a more positive outcome? Other than it would inconvenience you less?

I hated lockdown. I felt imprisoned. I’m still not 100% sure if it was fully necessary.

But I do have friends who lost parents and grandparents to covid. How many more would have been lost had we not taken action? And, if you advocate ‘different’ action - Which people needed to be ‘ringfenced’ - and would it have been legal to lockdown only certain factions? It would likely have been advisory rather than mandatory if it was only persons of a certain age or with certain conditions required to stay home as it would have been deemed discriminatory otherwise.

I have a very good friend who’s mum is battling cancer and experienced no delays in diagnosis or treatment - though I know this isn’t always the case.

Lockdown most definitely has consequences, not all of which seen. It wasn’t done perfectly and was flawed. And I’d love to bash this useless government over every single thing it does.

But what other choice did they have which you can categorically state would have worked better? Had they not systematically picked apart and ruined the nhs in the previous decade, then maybe they could have taken more targeted rather than generic action.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
  19. Micky Finn

Micky Finn Well-Known Member

Light bender
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Stephen Dawson likes this.
  20. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We have businesses in Europe and we took the warnings from our colleagues in Europe who were ahead of us in the wave, this helped us prepare the business for what was coming and mitigate the risk and bring new products to the market that helped our customers combat the Virus in a work environment.
    Add to this every NHS trust was told to buy PPE in advance to prepare, some did some didn’t. The point being if the Govt had foresight to do this, not being proactive enough sooner is arguably their biggest mistake.

Redhelen likes this.