What is our style of play?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Atac, Oct 17, 2021.

1. Cun

Cunning Stunt Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Even he couldn't get to the bottom of the shenanigans. Not even in his own office (training room).

Redhelen and matoakwell like this.
  2. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  3. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Manure have too many orim donas now.

4. Mis

MiserablePontyEnder Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Pampers style. $h1t at the back and pi$s all up front.

redrum likes this.
  5. ubi

ubique_tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The team just needs some motivation

6. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Good few jokes on here but in all seriousness I don't know our style and I've watched us all season. It clearly isn't working I know he tinkers with the team every week but I cant understand why he hasn't tried switching formations.

7. matoakwell

matoakwell Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Especially as we were under the impression when he came that 4231 was his preferred formation. I thought the signing of Vita would allow that formation to be played.

8. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

I thought he minght have given 352 a go but he just keeps doing the same thing and expecting a diffrent result when we create so few chances doing what he keeps doing

KamikazeCo-Pilot likes this.
  9. She

Sheriff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'll be generous and call it League One style, but we've already been beaten by a team from that division, so it may not be that good.

There were a couple of games early on where we started to play out from the back, and there was a noticeable difference in approach, which I assume is the template he had in mind for the team, and around which he would ultimately adjust the formation to fit it. However, he seems to have abandoned this to revert to something closer to the the formation of last season, but without fully committing to the high press that made it so successful, and he's then subsequently chopped and changed things around in an attempt to reverse the appalling run of form with the end result being no recognisable system, no idea of what the ultimate plan looks like, a draining of confidence and trust in the squad and seemingly no ability to imprint a change during the international break.

That, to me, is the most damning element of his performance as a coach. Both Struber and Ismael came in and very quickly made changes to create a short-term fix, from which they then built further. Struber's immediate fix was to address the defensive solidity of the squad that Stendel left behind. Ismael's impact was even more immediate, and dramatic, as he started to get a shot-shy team lacking confidence under Struber to immediately start picking up results via his more direct tactics (which ultimately became the high-press system that worked so well), and then reaped the benefits of a team that grew in confidence with what they were being asked to do.

In contrast, Schopp has been working with this squad for 4 months now, including having a full pre-season with them and we're getting progressively worse. Whilst acknowledging the comments from those who watched the Reading game that the performance was an improvement, it was still basically the same 3-4-3 tactics that we'd seen prior to the international break without any obvious sign of a significant change implemented during the break. This is why I don't see any significant improvement under him as other players return to fitness. In fact, I fear that Andersen and Morris in particular will regress from playing in his "system" in the same way that others have so obviously done.

The team desperately needs that short-term fix right now, and we've seemingly wasted the chance to implement it, based on a sample of 1 game. Schopp needed to have the confidence of his own convictions to at least impose his own identity on how we played, and missed it. Results might not have improved enough for us to establish any confidence in him, but it feels to me like he's now afraid to even try.

10. Ged

Geddiswasguud Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yea...like our owners .....i want to like them and i feel kind of sorry for him/them.
    However he has had a pre season and 4 months as you say sherrif so he cant claim that our squads appalling fitness isnt anything to do with him. He clearly doesnt know HIS best 11 and its why he chops and changes every week. The players so far (with the exception of Collins) are a definate downgrade on last year...7 out 10 to 5 out 10 and the tactics are very poor.
    To begin with i thought it would be a tall order to get us playing football after last season but i was prepared to be patient......this just clearly not worked. He needs his own identity on this team but he either doesnt trust his numbers or doesnt think they are capable...either way we are left with neither here or there tactics and players who are as unsure about our application as we the fans are.