Whats happened to JLWBL among others

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Dragon Tyke, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Dragon Tyke

Dragon Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    since the new BBS a lot have disappeared whats happened to them all ??

2. monkey tennis

monkey tennis Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Been wondering the same, hope he's ok, sithi.

3. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    I dont know but as you say quite a few have disappeared he is particuarly missed as is Jay - posters who generally talked sense - still have some of those that I wouldnt miss though

4. Dragon Tyke

Dragon Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    been in touch with one or two..... simple answer is that they just do not like the new BBS. I only come on occasionally now. I do not like the fact that posts cannot be threaded and I would like to have the old option at the bottom to see who is online too. But I used the style changer and made it Barnsley full width, at least it looks like the old BBS a little.
    I thought the header with all the people on looked like something from a Zombie film.

DusThaNoIII likes this.
  5. icer

icer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I used to post a lot more than now. Its not that I don't like the new board but the quality of reasoned debate, with respect for all sides of a discussion, solid made and positioned topics and point has sadly declined. We see more insults when there are differing opinions, pointless threads have increased and a few double standards. So for me I will post occasionally, read little and that's about it. I think a good test of the sense of community and solidarity as a BFC BBS is to imagine what a BBS get together would look like if it was arranged for Monday.

6. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The BBS is no longer the unique site of yesteryear, it's simply a clone of every other fans' forum on the internet. However, the biggest problem has been the demise of reasoned debate. Irrespective of whether the subject matter is the goings on at the football club, social or political issues in general, extreme & negative views appear to be the norm. Anyone who tries to offer up an alternative viewpoint is met with condescension, mocking, allegations of failure to understand topics and totally unnecessary overly aggressive (and often personal) attacks. However, those offering up these persistently negative posts appear unable to take criticism anywhere near as they can dish it out.
    Sadly, on a more personal note, just a few months since we lost our beloved dog Bella, our other dog Sable passed away in her sleep on Monday night. The light than shone so bright in her sadly went out when Bella died and without a doubt Sable has faded away very quickly with a broken heart since she lost her soulmate.
    We are all heartbroken and our home, now without a dog for the first time since March 1986 is not the same.
    I wish all the best to the posters on the BBS, but I don't see myself being a major contributor for quite some time.

7. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I quite enjoyed the last get together but there's hardly anyone left now.

8. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm so sorry for your loss, just from reading your posts on here I feel like I knew Bella and Sable so I can't begin to imagine how you feel losing two best friends so quickly.

9. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thank you for your kind comments.

10. jedi one

jedi one Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    sorry to hear about the loss of the dogs Kev, I know how much of a gap they leave in your life when the go chasing rabbits over the ranbow bridge. as to the rest I agree 100% and I mentioned some 18 months ago where the board was heading due to the intolerance of some posters, and the banging on about the same points week in week out, we all know that the club isn't run perfectly but which club is ? and it also seems that some posters ( always the same few) seem to draw some satisfaction when the club looses a player/game and they can run the "see I told you so flag up the rally around here to slag the club off pole"I know I've had the odd spat with some posters but I may not agree with their stance but they have as much right to it as I have mine and its just as valuable ( well in their eyes hehehe). see you on Monday "balders"

Bossman likes this.
  11. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sorry to hear that mate, hope you can get over it eventually.

I'll look out for you on Monday, I think I'll be sitting a few rows behind you.

You're right about the lack of reasoned debate, it's all got a bit polarised since January. I'm trying to defuse some of the extreme stuff by posting (hopefully) humorous tongue-in-cheek remarks. Not always appreciated though.

12. Cap

Capital Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree with JLWBigLil about the level of intolerance of others' viewpoints on here, but also would like to know why the previous BBS format was ditched.

There was nothing wrong with it, and I much preferred it to the current format.

The number of posts and posters has declined as well, so maybe I'm not alone in my view.

13. monkey tennis

monkey tennis Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Very sorry for your loss mate, I've two dogs myself and even though they drive me potty I love 'em to bits, sithi.

14. Gordon Owen

Gordon Owen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think it was ditched because it was as quick as Darren Moore after a lengthy lay off.

BBBFC, MDG and jedi one like this.
  15. DusThaNoIII

DusThaNoIII Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sorry to hear this they really do become family members don't they.

16. Mr Badger

Mr Badger Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Kev, I am absolutely devastated for you.
    As you remember we used to send photos of our "boys" for Laura a few years ago to try to raise her and your spirits.... it just seemed to be the thing to do !
    Our Brad has just had his fifteenth-and-a-half birthday and we revel in each day with him. He is our life totally now, we are so aware of life's kicks in the nuts.
    We lost Fudge about 18 months ago but Brad seemed to cope very well, your Sable must have struggled, we cannot really know what goes on in a doggy's head.
    Anyway, chin up, the need for another four legged friend is very strong and maybe one day you'll be back on here with a photo of some cheeky young pup who will reactivate all your lives. You will know the right moment.
    Our thoughts are with you.
    Dave, Yvonne, Brad and our Bella (Bedipoo)

gooderzone likes this.
  17. YTB

YTBFC Guest

Keep your head up, pal.

18. andytyke

andytyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    @Gally tried everything to keep the old board the way it was including throwing money at it to upgrade server etc. But it was still slow and constantly throwing up errors.

The vb4 software is old and very resource hungry especially on a site as big and busy as this one. Just because the amount off posters has gone down there are still hundreds accessing the site daily.

The best option to save the site was a change of software with xenforo being the best around. Vbulletin 5 have scrapped threaded views so sticking with vb wouldn't have made a difference.

The forum as survived a change software in the past. I think the switch from the original threaded version to VB was much bigger than this one.

I noticed the likes of Jay and other big / popular contributors stopped posting long before the forum changed software.

Some posters are just constantly posting negative depressing stuff which puts members off along with the attitude that everyone but their own opinion is wrong

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    occook and Bossman like this.
  19. Sopwith Camel

Sopwith Camel Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    And that's just from our friends at the club..
    Sorry for your loss mate... The old saying..... Better to have loved and lost... May offer some comfort..

20. blivy

blivy Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't post as much because I don't enjoy it as much as I used to. The past 18 months has been a great period for our club, but the mood on here doesn't reflect that.