Will Devante Cole ever be given a pass he can score from

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by red24/7, Aug 4, 2022.

1. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Last season the issue was our midfield. We didn't protect the defence well enough and we didn't support the forwards well enough.

I'm not sure our midfield at this stage looks strong enough to support our defence and create chances. We've got to give our forwards the ball in the areas that allow them to show what they can do and hurt opponents.

At least Cadden got a few crosses in, but we've got to do much much better. I can't say I'm expecting a lot from Cole, but he'd likely look better if he had some service.

2. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    Agree with this. If we're to add forwards, we have to offload those we deem to be insufficient for our latest formational and style change. It's just not reasonable to have 6, 7, 8 forwards in league 1 when you're trying to reduce a very significant deficit.

3. onemickybutler

onemickybutler Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You’d think he’d be busting a gut to prove himself at this level, if only to secure himself a good move either back to Europe or into the Championship.
    Really can’t understand mentality of footballers sometimes, they don’t always appreciate what they have.

4. Stephen Dawson

Stephen Dawson Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's a generation thing more than a football thing. Youngsters today are spoon fed and don't have the tools to go out and get it.

Bazza and onemickybutler like this.
  5. Baz

Bazza Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That is how it should be.
    Unfortunately as fans we don't always see the bigger picture.

Stephen Dawson and Abruzzo Red like this.
  6. Baz

Bazza Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Try and imagine my 16 year old starts college shortly.
    I tried to explain to him at 16, I was at Dodworth pit .
    6 o clock start then into the pit baths 200 hairy arsed miners all singing showering.
    Tail gate ripper 6 foot , " hey son wash mi back lad " .
    Baptism of fire welcome to the adult world.

7. Stephen Dawson

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My Dad was apprentice fitter at South Kirby he had a similar baptism. He wasn't ready for how rough the back scrub was but they had to get the coal dust out.

Redarmy87 and Bazza like this.
  8. Nardiello

Nardiello Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If Iseka isn't in the squad tomorrow then we know he's dossing about and will be on his way

Abruzzo Red, Bazza and Stephen Dawson like this.
  9. Redarmy87

Redarmy87 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Good post. I do agree the midfield output is a worry. But in terms of Cole - and i don't wish to get on his back here - he will have carried the weight on his shoulders since being a young kid, given who his father is. Some people thrive off that, they want to better the achievements of their father or they want to distance themselves and stand on their own. Cole has also been on the books at Man City and represented England at youth level, so he has felt that pressure. My point is he is a 27 year old professional footballer. He's not 18 any more, and the clock is ticking. I really hope he comes good, for his sake and ours. And I'd be saying to him if I was Duff, if not now, when? He can't hide behind Woodrow, Morris etc any more, he's no longer down the pecking order. This is a time where we desperately need new heroes, and Devante needs to step up to the plate. And the midfield need to make sure he gets some service :)

10. Baz

Bazza Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You can take the horse to the trough, you can't make him sup it.

11. Baz

Bazza Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Absolutely spot on.

Redarmy87 and Stephen Dawson like this.
  12. Nardiello

Nardiello Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sorry mate but I hate this statement.

People have always disliked the younger generation. I'm sure the generation before yours was complaining about your generation. It's Daily Mail nonsense

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/articl...ple-have-always-complained-about-young-adults
    https://historyhustle.com/2500-years-of-people-complaining-about-the-younger-generation/

13. Redarmy87

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think there is some truth in both camps, though I don't trust a few random quotes from down the ages from the BBC. This is the only generation that has grown up on Tik Tok and YouTube 'stars' who make an absolute fortune doing videos, who many look to for their inspiration - the superficiality of a virtual minefield. I know some of them work very long hours, and more power to them for making the dollar and being entrepreneurial. However, the generations before them may have had rock stars to look up to and idolise - and in rare cases, emulate - but the vast majority accepted their lot: that they had to go and get a real job and that it probably wouldn't happen. Nowadays, I'd argue the lines are blurred between what is achievable and what is simply out of reach; social media-purported dreams are aspired to but largely unrealised, we have more graduates than ever in a shrinking job market, and the gap between rich and poor is wider than ever, further limiting the opportunities for those at the bottom.

I feel sorry for the younger generation (as opposed to dislking them). I feel blessed that I grew up in a time before social media, that I could experience the world without all that pressure, endless selfies and the fake utopia (and resulting disappointment) it has created; I don't have to deal with the fall-out when those dreams don't come true. Sure, I've been disappointed in my life, but I feel growing up in the 90s and 00s gave me more perspective; I knew my environment in the real world (as opposed to the virtual one) and my place in it; I listened to my grandad tell me stories of the pit rather than sitting there with my head buried in my phone (this was before even the 3210 graced us), and I was taught resilience, respect and an appreciation for my lineage and the history of the town. I feel it gave me more coping mechanisms, and I was more grounded. Fundamentally, it gave me an identity, and a realisation that you have to work hard, and things won't be handed to you on a plate. I'm not saying that everything is handed to the younger generation now, but I think a lot of kids grow up believing that it will be, and can't deal with the disappointment when, ultimately, it isn't.

Bazza, Stephen Dawson and Nardiello like this.
  14. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    There are some things I agree with you in there and some I don't. I think we've always got to be careful of tarring a whole range of people with a particular brush.

On the flip side we could say that older generations at least had an environment to look at which wasn't in absolute peril. You could argue that younger people of all genders, races and sexuality are judged less and have had some of the ceilings (though far from all) removed from them. And of course we can look at University students and welcome increased numbers, though be concerned at the level of debt they have to accrue to make it happen.

You could look at technology and welcome the reach that is allowed if used wisely and well. The information that can be gleaned.

There are pro's and con's to everything. And I suspect there are very few people who would say they wish they were of a different generation. It's impossible anyway so an exercise in futility, but your lived experience is just that. To experience all someone else does/has of a different generation isn't something thats accurately or easily done.

15. Redarmy87

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    All good points DW, and I don't disagree. You are correct in that I can only look at things through my lens and so I'm limited in how I perceive things to be for others, I can only compare and contrast from my own experience; as you point out, generalisations are flawed and I realise this extends to my observations here. I do think that the smart phone - and social media - has done more harm than good however, and we shouldn't underestimate the potential damage it has done, not only at how we engage with others but also our perceptions of the world.

Off-topic (as it's you :)); we regularly visit our neighbourhood goat, Curry, and last time was the first time we have taken him food (apparently the local greengrocer makes a fortune off people feeding Curry!). He has all manner of veg, usually organic, handed to him, he eagerly munched down our carrots until his stomach started making a noise and we told him, 'until next time!'

16. dod

dodgey defence Well-Known Member

Joiner
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Totally agree with this.
    Cole and Iseka (if he's staying) need to be given belief and a fair run of games in a team with some attacking intent in the hope that they can get some confidence, I'd love for either of them to score tomorrow.

Bazza and Stephen Dawson like this.
  17. Stephen Dawson

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yeah mate. Can't judge em' on last season in a team that didn't attack. I feel there needs to be a change in the way we play and to get back to basics. Make passes count and get balls into the box when players are in there instead of random punts.

dodgey defence likes this.
  18. dod

dodgey defence Well-Known Member

Joiner
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hopefully Duff can show his man management to get him firing even if it is just to get him a move and make or save us a few quid.
    Like you say it's in nobody's interest's for him to just be mulling around.

Stephen Dawson likes this.
  19. Exi

Exile Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Yes, he had one last week imho but didn't have the ability to turn and shoot, got the ball stuck under his foot and then gave it away. I'd also say that there were more half-decent balls into the box last week than there were half-decent runs from Cole to get into space or on the end of one. Good strikers do a lot of their work off the ball but I'm yet to see Cole work hard to get into good positions.

As Iseka is our highest 'earner' I'm really hoping we are doing our best to move him on. They'll probably both score hat-tricks tomorrow :).

20. Hig

Higgy Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I understand what Duff trying to say but training isn't everything.

A lot of footballers don't train that well. An example of this was Carlos Tevez. Apparently, he barely got involved if you listen to the West ham/ Manchester United and City players. He got picked by all those clubs and picked by a lot better managers than Duff.

You have the other way too. Great in training and rubbish in a match.