Worrying times ahead

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Robert_Goulet, Aug 1, 2021.

1. Rob

Robert_Goulet Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    After the conclusion of last season, I hoped this was the time we would actually kick on. We had a style that was getting results, risk was minimised in our play and we had players that suited the system. All we needed was a few quality additions, 3/4 maximum and we had a real shot at another top 10 finish, even if we lost Mowatt, which was expected in all honesty. 2 months later and we are in complete disarray, after having lost the key cog in the operation in Val, swiftly followed by Mowatt and Murphy. I could live with losing Mowatt and Murphy, as replacements imho could be found with minimal disruption, however the crucial one was the replacement of Val which as things stand just hasn't happened. Val, had a presence, beliefs and qualities, and a general aura that demanded professionalism at all times, from the back room staff to the pitch side announcer. These high standards got us to a play off place. As soon as I saw Schopp in the images surfacing as he monitored training for the first time with his high school satchel, I knew trouble was on the horizon.

Schopp, who was by all accounts recruited outside of the spreadsheet parameters has a loser mentality as a coach, the perennial underdog, the equivalent of Gareth Ainsworth in Austrian football. Val came in as a winner, and wanted us to improve in every aspect as a club. Schopp arrived being glad he's got a decent role. All discipline in the club has disintegrated over night. Liam Kitching being the main culprit, testing authority at every opportunity, without an eyelid being battered. Pissing about on floor cleaners, throwing water on everyone in training, everything bar concentrating on the job in hand. Herbie Kane is out for Wagamamas before the Man City game instead of watching the lads. This the guy who will struggle to play ten games this season due to being injured. I get the same vibes likened to when a substitute teacher oversees a class at school and everyone just acts the goat.

Then we come to the style of play, which will result in us having less points than under Stendel. Val quickly identified the squad simply didnt have the required skill set to play out from the back, instead opting for the highly effective press in the opponents half which saw us finish in the top 6. Val made sure every player knew their exact role, so we could operate effectively, now the players appear to have been given a play how you want freedom role, with no clear guidelines. The squad is already littered with injuries, the back 3 is more or less brand new, as moon is suddenly an ever present over Sibbick, and Mads appears to be out for a prolonged period. We then decide to proceed with this suicidal style against Man City, potentially crushing all confidence going into the start of the season. With fans being back in stadia, I fully expect players being sent home for respite after the onslaught of abuse hurled at them once we start getting pumped every week playing this style.

We have a bare bones coaching staff, due to the identified assistant reportedly ineligible due to Brexit work permit guidelines, instead Tonda Eckert and Joseph Laumann assisting, who were let's be fair cone positioners last season. All the brains behind the operation whether folk like it or not are out of the door and down at the hawthorns. We simply do not have the back room knowledge to be successful this season.

Finally, our recruitment. Replacing the outgoing Dike and Mowatt, meanwhile otherwise strengthening was vital to continue our progression, we are going into the season weaker than last. Dike has being replaced with Oulare, who will be still getting up to speed come October due to 6 months of inactivity. I also have doubts of his general attitude, especially towards a constant high press. Benson, imo is a quality signing. Young, premier league experience, good on the ball, tenacious, however the issue lies in his partner. I personally feel styles is better at wing back. By shifting him inside we now have two fullbacks with zero goal threat, whilst having no goal threat centrally either. We would also have two whipper snapper central midfielders with no real experience, which is needed in a central position. Devante Cole could be a decent free, however last season could be a flash in the pan considering his record up to that point. The jury is out on that one for me. Leya stinks of Thiam in my opinion, one possibly recommended by agents and contacts rather off the spreadsheet. There is something at the back of my mind which doesn't feel right with this one. Finally, unless we sign a left back, we are in deep trouble, as Man City kindly highlighted yesterday. Styles looks seemingly destined to play central, oduor has shown he is inept at LWB and Ben Williams is not a footballer based on the fact showing commitment doesn't mean you are a good player. The signing of Kenneth Paal would welcomed however I cannot see this happening now as time passes by.

I honestly can't see what folk are basing mid table predictions on. Based on the style, recruitment and general feel around the club currently, I see a long hard season in store.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  2. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Give over you pillock. You have absolutely no idea what his mentality is

And to insult, deride and completely write off the manager before a single competitive game has been played is the most pathetic thing I've ever read on here. And I've read some of my posts...

High school satchel? You should be embarrassed with yourself

3. T!ke

T!ke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Jesus. Thats a pearler. Not a ball kicked n were going down.

4. Gordon Owen

Gordon Owen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Reyt load a'ballax.

5. Old Goat

Old Goat Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There's a club down the road at S6 that would welcome your positive support. Buses daily.

6. Dillydilly

Dillydilly Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Bet your fun at party's ever thought of becoming a funeral director

7. Red

RedVesp Guest

Top lolz.

Mr C likes this.
  8. Bak

Baka Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Where's your proof of that? Whose accounts say this?

9. Tyke_67

Tyke_67 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Haven't kicked a ball in anger yet this season. Give the gaffer and the players a chance

Redhelen likes this.
  10. Red

RedMonk Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Old meme, but....
    [​IMG]

Durkar Red likes this.
  11. Mr Badger

Mr Badger Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Nay, let him have his say .... and then move on.

12. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Congratulations old lad, this has got to be a wind up & you have indeed managed to haul in a few nibbles , one bit of advice I could offer is to cut down the size of your wind ups ,it would then free up time for what ever exciting things you do for hobbies because you are certainly not a genuine reds fan .

13. Rob

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's certainly not a wind up. More opinions based on what I've seen and been told during this closed season. Personally feel we've took a massive step back. I'm massively concerned by the going ons at the club. Suppose we will see.

Stephen Dawson and GeorgeRobledo like this.
  14. Rob

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's true isn't it? He has. He's used to managing a side based with attendance of a Sunday league side, fighting against the odds every week. Playing a low block and counter attacking is exactly that.

Stephen Dawson likes this.
  15. Mr C

Mr C Well-Known Member

Saving the world.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Complete disarray, because we lost away to the premier league champions & arguably the best team in the world?
    You wasted your Sunday afternoon on that? I read the first few lines & gave up..

t'owd man and Hooky feller like this.
  16. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    From the rest of his comments yesterday was irrelevant, he'd made his mind up long before and was just waiting for an excuse.

Thrappo Tyke likes this.
  17. Red

RedLeader21 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    "Val came in as a winner.." a recently sacked winner.

You don't get a professional career in football unless you're a winner. But, as it happens, whether you win or lose depends on your budget and resources.

Val had a 60% win rate at one of Austria's biggest clubs and kept them in their place as one of Austria's biggest clubs.

Schopp took Hartberg from semi professionals to the Europa League. That doesn't say loser mentality to me

18. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What's true? He has what? If you're going to post ******** at least try to make sense

19. RC_

RC_tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I ain’t reading all of that given we’ve not actually played a meaningful game yet… anybody that has read it to give a TLDR?

20. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    You can’t say he’s loser because nothing in his stats or resume point to that.
    He was picked because his stats point to him being a winner so you have based an opinion on him being a loser is baffling tbh .
    I think you are basing your thoughts on nothing but your negative thoughts IMO .

Thrappo Tyke, Redhelen and SuperTyke like this.