Worrying times ahead

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Robert_Goulet, Aug 1, 2021.

1. Gol

Goldthorpe-Red Well-Known Member

Courier at DPD group UK.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I didn’t even have the attention span to read the full post let alone write it.

I have two concerns going into this season, they are;
    We’ve not replaced Mowatt but then again, how could we? A like for like replacement would cost us 6 million or more.
    My second concern is that we’re moving away from the boring hoooooooooffffff and going more with an on the deck kinda style of play. We’ve played for beautiful stuff over the years but we also got beat, ALOT. I think Vals system should have been stuck with but I understand a new gaffer wanting to put their own mark on things.

Other than that, more of the same please Reds!

Connor, redrum, S74 Red and 2 others like this.
  2. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I’m just looking forward to being back in Oakwell. Who knows what the season will bring. If you’d told me we would finish 5th this time last year I’d have been questioning your sanity. It’s all part of the fun of being a fan of a small town club. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

Wuz1964, John Peachy and Redhelen like this.
  3. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Pretty sure Mr Chein will act very quickly if he hears his investment isn't being taken seriously.

4. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    At least @Red Rain writes something I can get my head around.

There are some truths here. How do you replace Mowatt for example. That said we look OK to me. We are never going to keep everyone after a great season.

Stephen Dawson and Redhelen like this.
  5. jagzz88

jagzz88 Well-Known Member

Construction
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Has got to be one of the worst posts I’ve seen on this forum. Not even kicked a ball this season give it a rest!!!

6. e-red

e-red Well-Known Member

Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I understand and share some of your trepidation about the coming campaign. I have it every year and I had it last year. We are playing in a challenging league and there’s a good chance that some teams will be better than us. The starting point is how many teams won’t be better than us.
    This year we have lost a captain and a manager and brought in some people of unknown quantity. We are changing a style of play that brought us great success.
    It would be surprising if it didn’t take us some time to settle in.
    I think we will be good enough to avoid the drop and my first target as always is 50 points. Anything else is a bonus.

7. ley

leythtyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I do think the two most important factors in our season will be how pragmatic Schopp is prepared to be with his tactics, and how the squad copes with the loss of the leadership brought by the loss of mowatt and Sollbauer.

For the latter, if there was another Matty James like loan deal to be done, that would be ideal. For the former, sounds like some mistakes in the city game might nudge him along.

That said, keeping Val and Mowatt wouldn’t have guaranteed any success. Keeping that level of intensity would’ve been very difficult to keep up into a second season.

8. Archey

Archey Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    What on earth are you going on about?

Mr C likes this.
  9. ATY

ATYKE1 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I feel a bit sorry for Robert - presumably he is a BFC fan but imagine going into a new season having made this statement.
    Some part of him probably now wants to be right!
    I have no idea whether Mr Schopp will be successful or not but I start every season with hope and expectation because I’m a fan. If I had the same disposition as Robert I would just give up and do something different instead!

jagzz88, JLWBigLil, Red CB and 2 others like this.
  10. Rob

Robert_Goulet Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I mean I hate to say I told you so, but a few of my points are already rearing their ugly head.

11. onemickybutler

onemickybutler Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sadly your fears may well be proved right. Let’s hope not….

Stephen Dawson likes this.
  12. sav

savemyday Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    “Hate to say I told you so”. Obviously you don’t, so give over with that.

Regardless of whether or not he’s a good manager your initial (ridiculously long) post that was full of rubbish was premature, as is this post. IMO (some) fans expectations are raised too high after last year. If our final position is our current one I would be a little disappointed but not too unhappy!

JLWBigLil and 55&counting like this.
  13. dod

dodgey defence Well-Known Member

Joiner
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Why would you expect a group of very good young and improving players not to do well, Do you think we will do better next season than this ?

14. Wor

Worsbrough Red. New Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It’s a really strange and difficult one.

I honestly believe we found a real hidden gem in Val. I was lucky enough to get into Oakwell on the odd occasion last season with work (media) and he literally kicked every ball with the lads from the sidelines. His energy was felt and him and the players had a mutual respect.
    He identified quickly we had a team of young inexperienced lads and built a system around their strong points and got it completely bang on.

Any manager coming in after him had massive boots to fill. I have spoke with Schopp on more than one occasion and he does genuinely care about the club and does want to see us succeed.

Do I believe he’s the right man to take Barnsley forward? Early days, but unfortunately I cannot see it. I really really really hope I’m wrong and I will be happy to eat a piece of humble pie haha

Stephen Dawson and Redhelen like this.
  15. orsenkaht

orsenkaht Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    A far wiser man than me said to me today "Pressing can be done by anybody who is fit enough and has half a brain to follow a plan. Football requires a little more than lung power, and I fear that it is in that department that we are wanting." That, to my mind is the problem in a nutshell.

Geddiswasguud and Stephen Dawson like this.
  16. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Or alternatively you aren’t been proved right & my reply was more accurate in that whoever was managing us this season would struggle as they’ve lost our best player & captain, they’ve lost a revelation up front in Dike & there’s been turmoil behind the scenes.

On top of that the new managers got visa problems with his new signings & has Morris & Anderson out injured.

Let’s have it right Val did an excellent job but we were mid table in January before we signed Dike & Morris & that was with Mowatt & Anderson in the side.

Take them 4 players out of Val’s side & we’d have been a lot closer to the bottom than the play offs under him.

I’m not sure how his pressing style would have worked with only 3 subs & only Woodrow, Frieser, Oduor, Miller & Adeboyejo as his attacking options for several games either.

17. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Very valid points it was obvious mowatt was going to be hard to replace and would be missed but we have to move on and Benson doesn't look a bad player at all. Dike was never our player and was always going unless we got promoted. Val was also a big loss had the squad well organised, had a plan all the players respected him.

Stephen Dawson and Django like this.
  18. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    All the more interesting this original post six weeks or so later when all three main points listed you can actually see. We've seen Schopp looks so far at least out of his depth. We've seen with the double headbutt that Kitching doesn't have good discipline and with Kane being sent out on loan to be at least on a temporary basis be removed from the set up. Right as well about us not getting Paal.

Stephen Dawson likes this.
  19. Loko the Tyke

Loko the Tyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day though and if you claim enough things you're bound to get a couple right. We've got as many points as under Stendel with five additional games still to play. You also said Val adopted the style he did because of the players at this disposal, but he's pretty much taken the same style to West Brom, so which is it?

You compared Iseka to Thiam, even though the former has actually played a number of games in Ligue 1 (and scored) where the latter got nowhere near. One also represented and scored for his country at U21 level. I'll let you guess which it was.

We only lost one of the first five games so was confidence crushed as predicted? Probably not.

I'd go through a few more of your points but it might be easier if you just tell us which ones are rearing their ugly head.

JLWBigLil and 55&counting like this.
  20. YTB

YTBFC Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Looking forward to bumping this thread myself in a few weeks time.