York Ebor Meeting

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by orsenkaht, Aug 23, 2023.

1. Winker

Winker Well-Known Member

RETIRED AND LOVING IT
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Wife did well, i had 1 winner 5/2 an a place 40/1, wife had 1 winner 7/1, an 2 placed, 28/1 an 33/1

x11barnsley and Stephen Dawson like this.
  2. Winker

Winker Well-Known Member

RETIRED AND LOVING IT
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Going out for day t'morra, not aving a bet, good luck everyone,

Last edited: Aug 26, 2023
    Stephen Dawson likes this.
  3. Stephen Dawson

Stephen Dawson Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Baba Ghadoush:

Screenshot_2023-08-24-19-07-55-13_cd1de0823ec1ca3e67b666b03f2c3e5d.jpg Screenshot_2023-08-24-19-07-43-27_cd1de0823ec1ca3e67b666b03f2c3e5d.jpg Screenshot_2023-08-24-19-07-24-57_cd1de0823ec1ca3e67b666b03f2c3e5d.jpg Screenshot_2023-08-24-19-07-00-04_cd1de0823ec1ca3e67b666b03f2c3e5d.jpg Screenshot_2023-08-24-19-06-48-07_cd1de0823ec1ca3e67b666b03f2c3e5d.jpg

4. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I did OK with the Ryan Moore super boost with Bet365 and Ryan Moore placing in all his first five rides.

5. x11barnsley

x11barnsley Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Good value for tomorrow .. in my opinion .. is Dramatised in Nunthorpe .. 10/1 EW 1st 6 with Bet365

Last edited: Aug 24, 2023
    Winker and Stephen Dawson like this.
  6. Stephen Dawson

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Are you looking for value or the winner mate? I've just had a cocky day looking for value...got me nowhere. Think Highfield Princess is the form choice old chap.

Arse in the air. Piggott on the way. Tally-ho.

7. orsenkaht

orsenkaht Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Tricky day yesterday, as so often is the case on the Knavesmire! But plaudits go to KCP (Relief Rally) and Winker (Sea Theme). And the mad genius that is Mr Dawson appears to have peppered Corals with his win singles! Well done to all. Zip to yours truly. So, Savethelastdance. The plan worked perfectly until a furlong and a half out. Ryan had controlled the race up to then, and I was waiting for the surge he had cunningly kept in reserve. She kept on well enough, but Warm Heart and Free Wind just had too many guns for her on this quicker ground. I have to concede at this point that while she handles fast (look at the horses behind her) she is always going to run better on softer going. I can still see her winning a big race on soft/heavy before the season is out.

Just the one bet at York for me today, namely King's Gamble in the Gimcrack (3.00) for the reasons I outlined in my opening post on this thread. The opener (1.50) is a tight handicap, with Balance Play, Marhaba The Champ and Bague D'Or all having good claims. Paul Hanagan takes his last ever ride in this race and there will be emotional scenes should he manage to go out on a win with Wootton' Sun. His long-time gaffer Richard Fahey would no doubt love to put him up on a winner on his last ride, but this is a tough, tough race to pull it off.

The Lonsdale Cup (2.25) is tricky, and good cases can be made for Courage Mon Ami, Coltrane and Quickthorn. Tactics and which horse is better on the day will determine the outcome, as these stayers appear to have been winning in turn this season. I think Highfield Princess can take the Nunthorpe, but at 6/4 I don't make her a bet - especially with her Royal Ascot conqueror Bradsell in the lineup. He races on less favourable terms today, but at the age of three could reasonably be expected to have further improvement in him. He'd make more appeal at 4/1 than the Princess, but I still think she'll win. As with the first two days, the last three races on the card look fiendishly difficult. A win for King's Gamble in the 3.00 could be a big hint for Zain Blue in the 4.45 (he finished second to the Beckett colt at Newmarket). In the finale (5.15) Enfjaar looks to resume his progress after a disappointing run in the Jersey Stakes at Royal Ascot. This is a drop in class, and Enfjaar already features prominently in the betting for the Cambridgeshire next month. But while he has a good chance, this race is too competitive for me to have a bet.

My only other bet today is Imitate in the 2.05 Newmarket. Sir Michael Stoute's Frankel filly is apparently held in high regard, and this is a race he has won several times over the last couple of decades. Good luck (God help) all with your investments today!

8. Stephen Dawson

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Todays Snap Shot.

Not backed as much today because I think a lot of (if not all) the favourites will win. Gone for a few sneaky each way bets too.

1:50 Educator.
    2:25 River of Stars.
    3:00 King's Gamble
    3:35 Twilight Calls.
    4.10 Lan Cinnte.
    4:45 Dimsons.
    5:15 Al Zahir.

9. x11barnsley

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The beauty of an ew bet of 10/1 is that a place will still mean collecting a win of about your stake.
    My aim is for it to finish in top 6 and a win is a decent bonus as 10/1 winners don’t come along that regularly.
    Highfield should win however

10. Stephen Dawson

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    First sign of madness talking to thi sen.

Tykeored likes this.
  11. x11barnsley

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I’m still learning how to navigate this site and which bits to click etc.
    Don’t forget that old gits of my age weren’t brought up with smart phones and computers like you young whipper snappers.

Mi dad always used to say “ I’m going daft.. are you coming ?”

12. KamikazeCo-Pilot

KamikazeCo-Pilot Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Just the one winner yesterday which I didn't back. Ce'st la vie...
    Another tricky day today so don't go putting any mortgages on folks. Can't be bothered doing an in-depth explanation (as I'm not as professional as Mr Kaht!) but based on my studies my selections for today are:

1 Paradias
    2 Quickthorn to repeat last month's success
    3 Action Point
    4 Big Evs
    5 Aiming High
    6 Under The Sun
    7 Modesty

Not 100% about any of these but I have put small e/w's on Action Point (4 places on betfair exchange) and Aiming High (5 places befair exchange!!) as I do think they have a squeak and their prices are completely wrong. Good luck folks and if you make ANY money at all today youve done well

13. Stephen Dawson

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree. Looks tricky.

14. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well I didn't expect the Bet365 11/10 Super Boost for a Ryan Moore winner to come in straight away. Brilliant ride from last and wide left, to go diagonally through the field to move closer to the rail.

15. Winker

Winker Well-Known Member

RETIRED AND LOVING IT
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Aving a few e/way bets, Denmark, Al Suhail, Scampi, Kings Lynn, Symbol of Light, thats it good luck. C,O,Y,R.

16. Stephen Dawson

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You've picked three of mine there. :D

Winker likes this.
  17. Stephen Dawson

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  18. Egh

Egham Tyke Well-Known Member

Office manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Looking forward to seeing Scampi run as I've got a nose hair share in the horse. Saffie Osborne was due to ride but has been claimed by Ed Walker to ride elsewhere which could be a tip in itself. Good first day, shocking last 2 days for me at York so just having an each way bet on Scampi today. Hope it's not a basket case or I'll have had my chips

19. orsenkaht

orsenkaht Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well, an 'interesting' day yesterday! I mentioned Marhaba in my shortlist for the first, but wasn't brave enough to bet in that race. Coltrane duly took his turn in the Lonsdale Cup, where Quickthorn wasn't able to repeat his front-running success at Goodwood (did this race come too soon after that effort?) Lake Forest's win was somewhat irritating to me, given that he had finished nearly four lengths behind King's Gamble at Newmarket the time before. Heigh ho! And what to make of Live In The Dream's newly-discovered form? Me neither! Still, all good to watch, and wins for the legendary Mick Easterby and also for Aidan and rider of the week Ryan Moore later on. A day where we ended none the wiser but better-informed!

Today I'm keen on Nostrum in the Strensall Stakes (1.50). Third in last year's Dewhurst, he was held in high regard but hasn't totally fulfilled that promise just yet. But away from the Goodwood mud today I think he can get back on track under the peerless Ryan Moore. I was on early at 6/4, but whether the present 5/6 best price represents value I'll leave for you to judge. In the Ebor itself (3.35) I'm with Sweet William, who I see as the most progressive in this field. He is officially 4 lbs 'well in', and I think he may well be better for the quicker ground, which should allow his strong finishing to come to the fore. But I wouldn't underestimate Mr Egham Tyke's Scampi, who is also 2 lbs well in following a penalty for his Ascot victory. Should he win, I hope to see Mr Egham on the podium collecting the trophy. A nose hair is a nose hair, after all! Elsewhere, I have had a good word for the Gosden debutant Eben Shaddad in the 1.40 at Newmarket. 5/1 with Hills, this unraced colt by Calyx has a Dewhurst entry. I also fancied Aldaary to return to his top-class best in the 2.40 at Goodwood, but I see that his participation appears in doubt unless rain materializes.

Finally, what a great send-off for Paul Hanagan on his retirement from the saddle yesterday. Anyone watching Racing TV before racing yesterday will have been privileged to see a cracking interview with Paul and fellow retired jockeys Niall Hannity and Fran Berry. It was a fantastic insight into Paul's life as a successful rider, from his apprenticeship with a jumps trainer, to his move to Richard Fahey's, his two hard-won Jockeys Championship wins, his promotion to the Sheikh Hamdan/Shadwell Stud retained jockey's job and his subsequent Group One and classic glories. What a truly nice bloke he is, and what a brilliant and insightful interview with Fran and Niall:

On Demand: Paul Hanagan: Tears of Joy and Sadness The two-time champion jockey spoke to Niall Hannity and Fran Berry about his decision to retire at York on Friday. (racingtv.com)

(I hope this link works: I think you can register with Racing TV without subscribing if not.)

20. Winker

Winker Well-Known Member

RETIRED AND LOVING IT
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)