Evening with Flicker last night.............

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Brianpotter, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Brianpotter

Brianpotter Active Member

Newsagent - Or paperboy if you wish!!
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Wow!! - As Flicker would say - Wow.....

Went to a Dinner last night with Flicker. What a speaker!! Came across unbelievably well. The passion he oozes is brilliant!!

Said when Hill was sacked he was under the impression (As i think everyone was) that he would be shown the door too because has he put it - He was 'part of the problem'. When asked to take charge for the Peterborough game he had a massive massive descision to make. He discussed this with his familly - Hill - and close freinds. He decided he should stay and do the caretaker role because numerous players asked him to and also he felt he owed it to all the backroom staff that he had worked with at Rochdale because if he left along with Hill, they would all without doubt have been left unemployed too.

He himself thought that O Driscoll was the perfect fit. He felt players within the current squad could play the O Driscoll way and he could maybe be sucsessfull immediately but if noti definatly in the future. It was at this point when the club announced talks with O Driscoll that Flicker says the most important thing happened in him getting the job permanent. He accepted he was now about to leave the club and had effectively now being sacked. What does any person do that has been sacked - Run through everything has to why he had been sacked. Why were we not winning games. Where had him and Hill, despite working tirelessly to make things right gone so so wrong.....

He decided that for the Peterborough game he was going to go 3 at the back. This had been discussed with Hill in the weeks prior but Hill felt they needed a good 2 weeks to work on the team shape needed for such a change. Flicker believes that at the next available international break, with two weeks between games, Hill would have changed to the 3-5-2 system.
    Flicker didnt have two weeks but was only in charge for one game...... So hey oh, give it a go. He was massively impressed with how the players adapted at Peterborough and said however we lost was a travesty!!!

O Driscoll then turned down the job and so did Butcher. He believes Butchers style of play would not have worked at Barnsley.

The next bit is unreal - Flicker heard whispers before the Leeds match that Hignett and Branson had been offered the job that morning. Now he didnt say this outright last night - But i think he believes this did happen. (Hignett evening at Lamproom could be interesting!!!) After the Leeds game this offer was withdrawn and Flicker was appointed due to the performance!!! Quite a turnaround.

He feels the main problem with results before he took over was simply down to us playing too much football and making far far too many mistakes in our own half. BFC fans dont want to see this brand of football in his opinion. It isnt Barnsley Fc. He says BFC supporters are grafters and they want to see a team GRAFT - Not tippy tappy football. Thats all he has changed. Says Harewood has changed at an unreal speed. Hes a monster!! Thats what he promises. Graft and more of the football to be played in the oppositions half. Not ours.......

Off to do abit a work now but if a think of owt interesting i have missed i will update later!!!:p

2. Gally

Gally Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    I heard the same with regards Higgy (not Branson) before the Leeds game from a very reliable source so was extremely suprised when Flicker got the job. Subsquently, an aquaintance of Higgys confirmed this and claims they were talking contracts on the Friday night. Must have taken some bottle to do a u turn like that but was the right decision.

3. funnyfella23

funnyfella23 Well-Known Member

Civil Servant
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Good old Don claimed it was Flickers before the Leeds game as well.

How Hill could consider waiting for a break in games to change it beggars belief. We were losing every game and it had to be done immediately.

4. NIGHTMARE

NIGHTMARE Banned Idiot

we knew this anyway dint we, keys and gray spoke to higgnet on talk sport and he said he'd been offered the job

5. Gally

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Didn't know that. John Hendrie's pre-match talk before the Leeds game also seemed to hint at Higgy.

6. S.M.

S.M. Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If he keeps us up, he'll be gone

the way Don has handled it has pretty much guaranteed that the first decent job he's offered he'll be off.

Nice one Don.

7. NIGHTMARE

NIGHTMARE Banned Idiot

talk sport do a couple of hours on a Thursday all about the football league, they interviewed higgnet the Thursday after the Leeds game so the 17th of January if you go on the talk sport web site it might be on there pal, i can't check or link you up because im on mi phone at work

8. Gally

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Re: If he keeps us up, he'll be gone

Don't think it's just down to The Don

9. S.M.

S.M. Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I guess not

lack of stability is illustrative in many ways.

10. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Fall Guy again.

11. WorsbroughRed

WorsbroughRed Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Exactly.

Something needed to change but nothing was - why would you wait to change something like that is beyond me.

12. Brianpotter

Brianpotter Active Member

Newsagent - Or paperboy if you wish!!
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He also said that the reuniting of the players and Fans has been briliant and long may it continue. He says we will lose games and we may lose one or two maybe more in a row. Says its essential that the fans dont turn quickly. Stick together.

Scott Wiseman - Really suffered from fans abuse. Many sleepless nights left him off it in training but slow but sure he is on his way back. Says he will be a big player for us and we need to stick behind him. Same for every single player.

Brian Howard - No deal expected. A past hero. We need current ones and fit ones. We cant afford to carry anyone who isnt fully fit in the midfield positions so he wont be joining us.

13. Red

Red Rain Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It is important that when judging the decision-making of our board, that we remove hindsight from our review. We must try to remember the issues as they were at the time, without the benefit of knowing what the short term result of appointing Flicker would be. Even so, any decision to appoint Hignett and Branson would have been a spectacularly bad. The reasoning for doing so seems to me to be similar to the reasoning which saw John Hendry appointed, that is, appoint someone who was a fans favourite simply to take away the pressure on the board, especially when no-body else is likely to take it. Appointing a management team with absolutely no experience in a situation as dire as it was points to a board in panic.

I have had little good to say about our board throughout the final 6 months of Keith Hill's term as manager. This latest piece of information has convinced me that the club it being managed by the modern equivalent of the Marx Brothers. I will leave others to decide who is the silent one, who is the musical one and who is the front man who does most of the talking. Does Don smoke a cigar, by the way.

14. Pas

Pasta Banned Idiot

Home Page:
    Didn't take long for Flicker to see the simple stuff.......play football in the oppositions half and graft.

As for some of the above posts having a "dig at the Don", why not give it a rest............we've got Flicker, he's enjoying job, fans love him, players are playing for him, we're on a good solid run that could see us to Championship safety, we're still in FA Cup with a good chance of getting through to quarter finals............but some people always seem to find a chink of negativity.....ridiculous in my opinion.

15. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

If he keeps us up and is offered the job on an extended basis with us I think he'd take it for the same reasons as he stuck around when Hill was sacked plus its now his club and they're his players.

16. Dys

Dyson Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If they thought Hignett was the man for the job I think they should've appointed him anyway.

17. S.M.

S.M. Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Happy clapper alert

no discussion allowed, negativity is banned, close the website.

18. WorsbroughRed

WorsbroughRed Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think they wanted to offer it to Higgsy to please the fans, even though they might not have thought he was the right man for the job.

After the performance at borough and us smaching Leeds in then I think they did the right thing and gave it to Flicker.

Tooks some balls to go with him, as many wanted a 'clean break', so my praise goes to the board on this one.

19. Tom

Tommy HillFlicker Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

I was there too last night and thought Flicker was absolutely tremendous. Honest hard-working and determined to succeed in spite of the erratic way he was appointed. The Higgy/Branson thing I understand came about due to the differences of opinion in the board room and The invisible man allegedly announcing HIS opinion as to who should take over. It certainly wasn't The Don's or indeed PC - who ultimately made the final decision.
    Thought it was out of order of the organiser to bring up the Leveson Enquiry, which his brother Garry was involved in, and which was partly blamed for his father's suicide! Particularly, as Flicker obviously has a lot of love and respect for his father and as he says "Made me the man I am"
    It was refreshing to listen to a man speak so honestly and with obvious love for his job, the group of players, and the fans - He's learnt a lot from Keef - in more ways than one
    As he says "We're on an adventure - which could lead anywhere - Just enjoy it"
    Flicker we will - just keep on carrying on!! We're all with you!

20. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Personally I didn't want Higgy. Everything about his potential appointment reminded me of when we appointed Spackman and I think we'd have regretted it if we had gone down that route.