Setting the record straight - the ex announcer

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by David Clayton, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Dav

David Clayton New Member

Just a quick post on here to set matters straight - seeing as I can now!! Seems a few people on here seem to express opinions without really knowing the facts.

On the last game of the season - like the preceding 10 last games of the season the instructions from the club and the FA are quite clear. Under no circumstances must any spectator encroach on to the pitch. Its the law too btw - even Ben's not above that! Every year I have been asked to convey that message to the youngsters who don't know any better and the older idiots (yes idiots!) who should. If the cap fits wear it. I read all about your "customer is always right" mantra on here and the meeting that the Supporters Trust (who represent 0.001% of the fans - do the math) Crawlers have with the club.

The players were not keen on coming out on to the pitch in any case and it was them (Not Doyles) who didn't want to come out when it was apparent that the pitch wasn't going to be cleared.

A few idiots spoiled it for everyone.

I also read with a little disgust at some of the personal insults (Barnsley Loyal et al) which have been posted on here, I was a volunteer just trying to do a job for the lads in the best way I could. I tried to listen to some of the comments and do something about them such as music.
    The music has been chosen by the club's various officers over the years eg Gordon Shepherd wanted "Don't stop me now" when we scored because his wife liked it! Matt Goodwin is a mod and made one CD at the beginning of the season which reflected his own musical taste (not bad either) but then failed to update it so we were playing the same thing over and over again. The "Theme Tune" question is something debated on here ad nauseum, however that decision also comes from the club. I personally tried to introduce local bands music as an official way of getting Barnsley music in the spotlight but they didn't like that.

As far as some other things go people need to know that we sometimes got things wrong (no **** Sherlock!) We have no TV feed, internet or radio into the box therefore when a scrambled goal is scored at the Ponty End its extremely difficult to see from under the scoreboard at the other end. Communication is via mobile phone (most other grounds are wired up) and is patchy at best. We stopped putting the latest scores on the board because Danny said it was putting the players off. The volume in all parts of the ground is pre-set and we can only fade up or down - not adjust the volume in certain places. The ground is certainly the quietest I have ever been to - and I've done my share of away games. In any case both volume and choice of music is very much up to the individual and two people sat next to each other may have differing opinions. The scoreboard is an antiquated 2nd hand affair which previously belonged to an American football team. It runs on MS DOS (for the nerds!) and is probably over 20 years old. The bulbs cannot be replaced individually and come in panels which are no longer available. Personally I cant see it being replaced any time soon. And yes I did read off a clipboard - and so does every announcer in the country!

In closing the people at the club are generally fine with one or two who like to throw their weight around a little too much, its a mad scramble for position and favour though. Don, Gordon and even Peter and David were all a pleasure to deal with and I leave with good memories. The new CEO and I didn't get on from day one when he suggested I go to watch Hull City (to see how its done!) and it would have been nice for him to at least have said "thank-you" for 10 years voluntary service. Suppose I got the dubious honour of a personal call though...

Good Luck to my mate Jason and I hope that I get a pint or two down before the game now.

Ureds

2. NIGHTMARE

NIGHTMARE Banned Idiot

Bellend

3. redarmychris

redarmychris Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thanks for your service mate. Done a great job for the club.

The fans who run on the pitch are an embarrassment. It really is cringe worthy to watch. You weren't too far wrong with idiots.

4. Dav

David Clayton New Member

my case rests....

5. For

Forever red Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    and they ruin it every year for those who wish to acknowledge the team and their efforts!

6. Hicksy

Hicksy Administrator Staff Member Admin

Remploy Account Manager
    Barnsley, England, United Kingdom, 103126909727190
    Style:
    Barnsley
    You're heading for a banning. Your attitude on here is poor to say they least especially the post about old people.

7. WorsbroughRed

WorsbroughRed Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thanks for that mate. Always good to get a view from inside the club.

Got to say personally You've been the only announcer I can really remember, after I got my first season ticket in 2004, so for me you were the part of the matchday experience and think you did a cracking job. As you say everyone makes mistakes but so what, no ones perfect.

I for one would like to thank you for the great job you (voluntarily) did!

8. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thanks for the last ten years, I didn't realise it was voluntary.

As to the 'idiot' comment. I know the people who ran on the pitch clearly are idiots but it's not very professional for a member of the club to say that on the tannoy, especially in front of away fans - it's incredibly embarassing. Not sure what the dig at the Supporter's Trust above was for either.

9. Con

Connor Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ten years as a volunteer . Good service . Full credit to you for doing the job

10. LiverpoolRed

LiverpoolRed Well-Known Member

Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom, 105653082800
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Far play - thanks for coming on here and clearing that up. Hope things go well and you can still support the team.

One final thing - does your brother live in Widnes? One of my mates thinks he lives next door to him :)

11. TonyTyke

TonyTyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just wanted to reply to say thanks really. You've been "the voice of Oakwell" for most of my time watching the reds and it shall be missed.

And I had to have a chuckle at your comment re the score board running on DOS!

12. MDG

MDG Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well Said..

I actually thought the term 'idiot' to be a little too under stated.. I usually stand their cursing the **** who spoil it for everyone else every last game.

Especially last season, having been relegated the last thing I wanted to see was people running on celebrating etc..

Thnk that water cannons would be a good idea for next season..haha

13. Dav

David Clayton New Member

Yes - Gary lives there.

14. LiverpoolRed

LiverpoolRed Well-Known Member

Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom, 105653082800
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My mate Matt lives next door :) small world

15. NIGHTMARE

NIGHTMARE Banned Idiot

Don't talk ***** if they banned everyone on here with a bad attitude they'd have no-one left.

16. big

bigdaddycool New Member

Home Page:
    Anyone who either knows or has had contact with Dave Clayton in whatever guise it is/was in knows he`s a top bloke who and gives the best he can to whatever he is involved in.
    There are a lot of people that have a lot to thank Dave for.
    Mr Nightmare : go away; Youre embarrasing

17. mat

matthirst9 Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Paint balls would be better :D

18. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Cheers and thanks for all the voluntary service. Very much enjoyed the music played last season one of the few highlights to be fair. On the issue of calling people idiots it's just not the right thing for a person representing the club to do whatever the circumstances it is unprofessional and especially given the season we had not striking the right note.

19. Gally

Gally Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Dave you talk about expressing opinions without knowing the facts but in the meeting you mentioned with the CEO we never raised your comments on the final day of the season or indeed anything to do with announcements. These were brought up by our CEO. Maybe I shouldn't have left them in the notes that were published, as such, but to be honest I never really thought about it. Apologies.

As for representation, we've over 1,000 members (maybe nearly 1200 now) so I don't believe your maths are correct.

FInally, isn't it a bit hypocritical to come on here moaning about personal insults and then dish out your own to the "crawlers"? Again, just people trying to do the best for the football club like you indeed did.

20. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Bang on. I say it every year that I can forgive the young 'uns for running on the pitch as they are just that, kids, and provided they get off when told I'm ok. What I can't stand is the adults, the middle aged blokes who walk on and meander around without a care in the world just ignoring the boos. These people are morons and should be dragged off and thrown out of Oakwell.

He has impeccable taste.